Steel cassette on Alloy freehub?

xtreem
xtreem Posts: 2,965
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Howdy chaps,

ok I've got this new build and have a NS Bikes Rotary Cassette hub purchased, and planning on ordering a Sram NX groupset next month to complete the build.

So the freewheel/freehub is AL7075-T6 material and the lowest 8 cogs of the SRAM NX PG-1130 cassette are individual steel ones.
And the question is, will I have a problem with biting of the steel cogs on the freehub or should I invest more in a cassette with alloy spider if such exist?
Or should I not worry too much?

Btw it will be an orange one. 8)

p4pb13798941.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The cogs will eat into the hub. Bit more of a hassle to get the cassette off but that's about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • xtreem
    A little research and the cheapest cassette Shimano XT M8000 has a alloy spider on the lowest 3 and the next lowest 3, but that comes at a 35€ additional cost, that I cannot afford it.

Also I saw NS has put on his lower spec bikes a PG-1020 cassette, which is an OEM, on the same hub and by looking at PG-1030 it has an alloy spider on just the lowest 2 gears.

So I'll just go with the NX cassette and not think too much about it.

Thank You.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some alloy freehubs have a small steel insert to prevent gouging, not sure if the NS one does or not, do you have it to check?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • xtreem
    No steel inserts here.

But hey, 5 years from now we may have a 13 speed drivetrain, and a reason to replace the freehub.