Bryton 330

the_jackalcp
the_jackalcp Posts: 276
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
It looks like it might be time for a new computer and the obvious choice for my needs is a 520. While doing some research I came across the Bryton 330. Seems to do all the same stuff as the Garmin but £90 cheaper.

I realise it's quite a new product but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model or the latest range of Bryton stuff. Mainly looking for views on ease of use, reliability, support etc.
https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
IG - bikeauthority.cc

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    No experience of the latest model but I had a Ryder 35 which was the same point in the range a few years ago.
    Hardware was OK, with a few limitations such as the fact it fitted with 3rd party Garmin mounts - just not very well (and there are no 3rd party Bryton mounts!).
    Software less so. Brytons site was a bit rubbish, which was OK because I just used Strava. Then one day, with no explanation, support to upload to Strava was removed and you had to do a ridiculously convoluted upload process saving a fit file locally before uploading if you you wanted to continue. I don't think it's ever been reinstated.
    Final straw was when it crashed in the middle of a Sportive and didn't save any of my data.
    Sold it and bought a Garmin edge 800. Not perfect, but a much slicker product altogether. Bryton have been around for a while; there is a reason they haven't made any real dent in Garmins market share.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    As a previous Rider 50 owner I rated Bryton, but changed to Garmin 520 for simpler uploading to Strava and after Bryton stopped supporting my device. It's always worked well though, picking up different sensors between bikes easily enough. I have to say the Garmin seems better, although now wish I'd waited for a 820!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I still have and use a Rider 50. I also had trouble with it crashing, but that was due to the micro-SD card having come loose, or not being inserted properly. Since then I've had no troubles with it. The software could be better, but I think Bryton knows that everyone has their preferred software. The build quality is good. It can take a few hits, and battery life is good. I would be curious to try one of the newer models, but with such a saturated market, it takes a good discount to decide who'd get my money. I think the new offerings from Mio look good, but for dependability, it's hard to look past Garmin.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I have a 50. It's a decent bit of kit that does what it says on the tin. I don't use any other software other than their website and its works well, however I guess it's just a cheaper but decent version of what Garmin offer.

I do have a Garmin fitness watch ...the speed and distance is exactly the same so you can say both bits of kit must be working.