First road bike buying advice

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Done a lot of searching and reading before posting.

I am imminently buying my first road bike of up to circa £800

For the feel and tests I've tried a 54cm meridian ride 100 (too big) and a boardman carbon (53) which felt much better

I am 5ft 7ish with inside leg of about 29.5inches, now I know the fit and everything else is more important with a road bike but I'm struggling to compare what I've tried to a 52cm Allez (I can hop on a 54) which would give me some idea but even more struggling to compare vs a giant defy (according to their guide I am a small).

Not sure my lbs has any giant stock in at present so wondered what people's experience was of the above as I do like the defy range and the slightly more relaxed riding position

Cheers

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
  • dimmockg
    thank you for the link, i think i may have read that at some point over the previous weeks but not entirely sure

i have been to my lbs this morning and tried the following...

a focus (cannot remember the model) had 105 with fulcrum wheels, in a 54 size - which seemed fine but just didnt like the ride at all

then tried a giant defy advanced 3 in a size medium - massively preferred the feel over the focus, much better ride overall

i then had a go on a giant tcr advanced 3, again loved this ride but I think i prefer the defy out of the two giants. Just not entirly sure i liked the disc brakes

both giants were a medium and both had adquate clearance and I wasn't stretched out to far either

the giant site says i am a small and I would liked to have hoped on a small, alas they had none

looking at the sizes of the small vs medium there's not a huge amount in it
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A word of caution making a bike that is a little small fit is easy enough. Making a bike that is too big fit is very hard work if it is possible at all.
  • neil h
    neil h Posts: 499
    If you can stretch the budget a little the the BTwin Mach 720 might be worth a look. Seems to be a hell of a lot of bike for the money.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-carbon-road-bike-105-id_8339670.html
  • dimmockg
    thanks all, as it happens the guy in the shop indicated that discs were very much the way forward on road bikes and that would be the latest thing for them in a relatively big way.

Harsh would be a good description of the focus, didnt enjoy the short outing on it at all

the salesman was rather good and suggested trying more to ensure size was ok but no small giants and nothing else built up in a 52, they've been a bit busy due to the tour and Olympic Games and the bikes have been selling quicker than they can build!!!
  • dimmockg wrote:
    thanks all, as it happens the guy in the shop indicated that discs were very much the way forward on road bikes and that would be the latest thing for them in a relatively big way.

I'd have a long think about that and whether they're right for you or not. I'm on the fence myself about discs at the moment but they're definitely not right for everyone all of the time. I'd have thought that especially looking at the cheaper end of the market you'd want to avoid the compromises to the rest of the equipment needed to keep the bike to a price point.

I'm tempted for a winter bike but even then realise the longer chainstays compromising the geometry, extra weight and extra cost might outweigh the reduced rim damage and extra modulation considering I need to brake about twice on my normal Saturday ride!

Anyway, I know next to nothing about these and no doubt wiser people can chip in but don't jump for discs just because they're new.
  • dimmockg
    out of the giants I tried i preferred the one without discs, the guy said he expected discs to get really big in the next year or so

wish this was as easy as getting an mtb
  • dimmockg wrote:
    out of the giants I tried i preferred the one without discs, the guy said he expected discs to get really big in the next year or so

wish this was as easy as getting an mtb

Really? Don't you guys have sixteen sizes of wheel you can buy? Far worse.
  • I own a Boardman team carbon and with upgrades over time you can get it very light.
  • dimmockg
    so think I have narrowed down to:
    Giant Defy 1 or 0
    Merida Ride 400 or 500

Somebody I know is selling a bike which is full carbon/ultegra (6700 range) at a price well below any of the above. The machine was originally circa £1800 I believe and is in absolutely immaculate condition - could probably pass for new if being honest and has been looked after by a fanatic
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    dimmockg wrote:
    Somebody I know is selling a bike which is full carbon/ultegra (6700 range) at a price well below any of the above. The machine was originally circa £1800 I believe and is in absolutely immaculate condition - could probably pass for new if being honest and has been looked after by a fanatic
    Go for the used bike.

For your budget a used carbon/Ultegra bike will be vastly superior to a new alloy/105/Tiagra. Furthemore, once you get hooked, you will be very quickly looking to upgrade. If you start with a better bike you won't have to upgrade next year!
  • dimmockg
    that's kind of what I was angling toward (subject to an extensive test on the carbon/ultegra)

the only thing playing on my mind is the kit on it is 3 x 10 speed, with wheels possibly only catering for up to 10sp cassette so when things starting wearing it would be a new groupset potentially (or best part of) - which would be 105 at current prices & a new set of wheels (assuming I cannot get the older 10sp gear) - just conscious in say 12-18 months I could be weighing out a further £500 - £550 which would bring the bike up to current 11speed standard but albeit at a spec (in terms of some components) less than the giant or Merida (the zero & 500 have ultegra shifters and mech)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    There is still loads of availability of 10 speed parts. I think we're a long way off seeing spares become unavailable.

The shifters and derailleurs shouldn't really ever need replacing unless you damage them somehow. If you're worried you could always buy a few 10 speed chains and a couple of cassettes now which would see you through a lot of miles to come.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Get a new bike. You will be happier with a brand new bike.
    Dont go messing about with a 3 x 10 speed used bike.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I think given the number of 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 speed bikes on the road getting spares are not going to be an issue. I'm sure there must be loads of these bikes on the roads and will be on the roads for the next 20 or so years.
  • smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    Ascot17 wrote:
    dimmockg wrote:
    Go for the used bike.

For your budget a used carbon/Ultegra bike will be vastly superior to a new alloy/105/Tiagra. Furthemore, once you get hooked, you will be very quickly looking to upgrade. If you start with a better bike you won't have to upgrade next year!

Solid advice I bought a nearly used alloy in August last year, was working for an experienced cyclist who advised me to go for a carbon, luckily the alloy bike was not expensive, now got a nice carbon bike, would say pick up a lightly used alloy and if you like it you will have a bike for winter use should then upgrade to carbon, when weather is bad you can use the winter bike reducing risks of crashing in wet IMO,
  • dimmockg
    As it happens I am still undecided, good thing with it is the person with the carbon is in no rush to sell, I just want to absolutely rule out (or in) the giant/merida offerings but I cannot find anywhere close (Ish) to me that has small or medium giants in stock as well as 50/52cm merida

Nearest place that has the giants in is some 2 1/4 hours away - alas I do not drive
  • Update....

Went for the used bike, it has been absolutely babied by the person I got it off. One tiny mark, which you have to look for with a microscope!!! He recently had new Cassette, chain and front rings so the drivetrain will be good for ages

Had it a couple of weeks and chalked up about 150 miles so far (30 miler tomorrow morning). Got used to spds and cleats (I use xt Pedals). Absolutely fantastic machine and we'll over the moon with it.

2 things I reckon I'll change /dabble with....

Saddle (may go for charge knife) and get wider (25Mm) tyres
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    B'TWIN Triban 520 highly under rated. Just bought one as a winter hack bike and was so impressed just rode a 100 mile sportive. Comes with entry level sora, needs tyre upgrade but cracking machine. Only downside is its a triple

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-r ... 22663.html

Or go to Ribble and build one, my mate has just built this for £800 comes with 105 and is a nice bit of kit

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-70 ... ive/build/
  • dimmockg wrote:
    Update....

Went for the used bike, it has been absolutely babied by the person I got it off. One tiny mark, which you have to look for with a microscope!!! He recently had new Cassette, chain and front rings so the drivetrain will be good for ages

Had it a couple of weeks and chalked up about 150 miles so far (30 miler tomorrow morning). Got used to spds and cleats (I use xt Pedals). Absolutely fantastic machine and we'll over the moon with it.

2 things I reckon I'll change /dabble with....

Saddle (may go for charge knife) and get wider (25Mm) tyres

Cheers but went for the 2nd hand bike