Keep Mavic xm319 wheelset or upgrade to wider wheels?

markfogel
markfogel Posts: 29
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently use Mavic xm319 Wheelset on my trail bike, the rim seems quite narrow at 19mm. I noticed that most new trail bikes come with much wider rims. I was wondering if its worth upgrading to a wider rim? Would a wider rim provide noticeably better performance on the trails? if so how wide should I go?

I currently ride in South Wales, mostly BPW and Afan.
Tyres: Geax Goma 2.25 tubeless

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    unless you want lighter/tougher wheelset then no there is no point. your tyres aren't wide so wouldn't benifit from wider rims. however, getting new wheels is always nice.
  • POAH wrote:
    unless you want lighter/tougher wheelset then no there is no point. your tyres aren't wide so wouldn't benifit from wider rims. however, getting new wheels is always nice.

might save my money then, thanks! :D
  • poah
    having wide wheels isn't all that great as tyres have been designed around narrower ones. you can see the effect comparing HR2's on 25mm and 30mm rims. There isn't that much of a difference in actual width but the angle of the side knobs on the 30mm rims are more vertical requiring more lean for them to dig in. 25mm internal seems to be the higher end for decent current decent tyre profile certainly for 26.
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    In my case it's 650b with 19mm internal width. I checked on the Mavic website and they do not recommend tyres above 2.3 on this rim so I got
    the 2.25 version of the Geax Goma tyre for now running tubeless.

I have been told that upgrading wheels can offer massive performance gains but since I never upgraded a wheel before i am not sure what to expect?
    I guess wider wheel and tyre would be more grip. And if lighter the bike should feel more lively? Am I correct?
  • poah
    how heavy are your current wheels and what would be your budget?
  • POAH wrote:
    how heavy are your current wheels and what would be your budget?

I have no idea to be honest, I don't have decent scales to measure the weight and I cant find anything on the internet. Found the rim itself without spokes and hubs fairly online however I cant find fully assembled weight.

I was thinking may be £200-£300 or would I need to spend more to get a decent 650b wheelset which is both light and strong?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seems a lot to spend without any idea whether you are upgrading, downgrading or not even grading at all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    cooldad wrote:
    Seems a lot to spend without any idea whether you are upgrading, downgrading or not even grading at all.

Well I am interested in going a bit wider to get a chunkier front tyre 21-23mm really. Anyways decided I am going to ride them until the tyres wear out and then see what's out there. I am almost certain it's a budget wheel as they came with my boardman. The rim itself without the spokes and hub is about 20 quid.

Thanks
  • poah
    probably around 2kg or so I recon - ride them and then save some more cash.

plenty of rims/wheels to choose from.
  • Think these are the same rims I have on my boardman (2015 Pro Fs - silver and green one).

Came with Nobby Nics 2.25's but wore those out and they weren't very good when new anyway.

I got a cheap deal on continental mountain kings protection with black chilli compound. However they're a 2.4" tyre. Thought I'd take a gamble and they've been great so far. Plenty of clearance, a lot more grip and the bike feels more confidence inspiring leaning into berms. Think it's probably a 'small' 2.4 though.