Domane wheel upgrade?

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a Domane 2.3 and am quite pleased with it. I have heard a good upgrade is the wheels. It has the stock Bontrager tubeless ready wheels which I've been thinking of changing/upgrading.

Not worried about aero but would like something a little lighter, and am wondering if either of these fit the bill?... Any thoughts?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... 60518141uk

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fulc ... -prod88636

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you know the weight of the stock wheels? (without skewers, tape etc) Be pointless spending hundreds of pounds to find you've saved only 50 grams...

If however you're wanting to spend the money and bling up the bike anyway, of the 2 you linked, I'd go for the Zondas personally.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The two sets of wheels are basically the same (Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo) so it's really just a question for you as to whether you're willing to spend the extra to avoid putting Campag on a presumably Shimano equipped bike if that matters to you.

One other thing - Campagnolo/Fulcrum are likely to be releasing wider rimmed versions of those wheels at some point (wider Racing 5s already exist) so you might want to consider waiting for those to come out.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Zondas are great wheels - I had a set a couple of years back and was impressed with them then. However the one drawback (which thankfully I never experienced) is that with the G3 spoke profile on the rear wheel they are tricky to true if you need to. Also if you break a rear spoke then you may end up with an unrideable pringle.

My current wheels are a handbuilt set from Malcolm at Cycleclinic (Archetype rims/Miche Primato hubs)

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... lset-black

They are great wheels - maybe not favoured by the weight weenies but solid, smooth and easily serviceable if needed. Also cheaper than the Fulcrums
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The unrideable pringle thing is a feature of most low spoke count rear wheels. My RS10 bust a drive side spoke and I couldn't even push the bike because the wheel was jammed solidly against the chainstay.

If I ever wear out a rim I may be going for some handbuilts from Malcolm. I'm of an age where I value durability and repairability over light weight and bling. Plus he's only a short ride from me and I like to support local business wherever possible...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Bontrager factory wheels are pretty decent in my experience and the newer models have a wide rim (I have Bontrager RaceLite TLR as my climbing wheels and rate them) so assuming your bike is the standard Bontrager Race TLR wheels I don't think anything cheap would be much of an upgrade. Zonda's for example may save you 200g (or a glug of water out your bidon in real terms) but your sacrificing a wider rim.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Many, many thanks for all the replies - certainly lots to take on board.

I must admit I'm not unhappy with my current wheels, but am always wondering if/where upgrades can be made.
    I've already changed the chainwheel for a matching 105 (because I wanted too! And used the RS500 on another bike), I also changed the brakes from whatever came with the bike to 105's (and these brakes were well worth an upgrade). The next area to look at, I guess, is the wheels, and I've certainly a lot to consider now - many thanks for the info.

I hadn't considered the mix of Campag with Shimano - thanks for pointing that out. I've added the Syntium AXY's to my 'consider list' too. The Bont's aren't bad - I gues if I really want to make a dent in the rolling weight I may invest more dollar on something like Hunt Race Aero's (a workmates suggestion).

Once again, many thanks for the replies,
    Steve