8x3 to 1x10

oldieoldie
oldieoldie Posts: 12
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

My bikes got 24 gears sram shifters that have seen better days.

I quite like the idea of 1x10.

I have one question though. Where I live is a very steep hill that goes on forever. After a long ride the only gear that gets me up that Hill is the lightest gear I have on my bike. I refuse to get off and walk so I carry on albeit at 1mph.

Now the question is I need a gear as close as possible to the lightest gear on my current 8x3 setup. Is this possible with a 1x10 setup?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what your lowest gear is now, but highly unlikely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry should have mentioned the cassette is a sram pg850 12/26. Front triple chainring is 44.32.22t
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Generally 1 x10 is a compromise, you either lose hill climbing ability or top end speed unless you ride somewhere fairly flat.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just work out the ratios, or find a gear calculator online.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    22 front and 26 rear is only going to give a gear of around 0.9

32 chainring and 36 sprocket (if you used a "standard" 11-36 cassette) will give you 0.9 as well. So the answer is that a "typical" 1x10 won't give you an easier gear but it certainly won't make life harder.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True, but an 8 speed can have a 32T sprocket very easily, in fact 12:26 is really a road cassette so not sure what bike its on!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Oh how memories fade. When we all used to ride 8 speed cassette sizes like that were commonplace and you can still buy them! That's why we needed triples on the front!!

The OP asked if he could get close to the same gearing as his existing bike with a 1x10 set up and the answer is yes, he can get exactly the same gearing!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you're paying for all the new bits to go 1x10 (cassette, chain, chainring, mech and shifter) then you might as well go 1x11. You can get a lower gear then or a bigger chainring to give you a higher gear with the same low gear.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava