Some serious cyclist-hating going on in comments to this article...

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Never read the comments.....unless you like feeling angry and despairing of mankind.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    It's basically the Daily Mail. Enough said.
    Just smile to yourself about how annoyed these bellends got because roads were closed for Ride London.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Pro cycling story. Anti cycling comments. They just go together like fish and chips, little and large, Ben and Jerry, etc. Give them a space to vent every so often and the angry feckers might just calm.down for the drive home...might!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    YIMan wrote:
    Never read the comments.....unless you like feeling angry and despairing of mankind.
    Yup; I almost feel my IQ decreasing.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    To summarise: Pretty much any attempt to enforce existing speed laws is an infringement on a driver's liberty and is unfair. And no cyclist can possibly also drive a car.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    To summarise: Pretty much any attempt to enforce existing speed laws is an infringement on a driver's liberty and is unfair. And no cyclist can possibly also drive a car.
    Ha, that happens locally every time the police are out with their mobile cameras: It's not fair, it shouldn't be allowed, they're lining their pockets etc. Anyone who points out that if people stuck to the speed limit they'd take nothing in fines and stop coming out gets shot down straight away :mrgreen:
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Great article and some excellent comments (if you want to read the balanced or pro cycling ones look at the worst rated). Seems like you can't criticise peoples terrible driving without being labelled a 'militant cyclists' or 'lycra lout'.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Yep. If I can't drive where I want, when I want and as fast as I want then you must you some sort of miltant cyclist hippy scum. How dare you tell me to follow the rules and drive courteously. Don't get in my way or I'll knock you over, just watch me. Also the roads being crowded are down to 'too many people' not a generation of obese lazy self entitled morons.
  • There seems to be something about cars, driving, motor traffic in general that means we have our collective blinkers on. We are prepared to put up with sacrificing a massive amount just so that we can drive our cars.
  • Great article, some excellent points but not the one about limiting to 3000 rpm, I have a small economical i20 and that would be torturous.

There needs to be more prosecutions for stupid drivers!
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Great article, some excellent points but not the one about limiting to 3000 rpm, I have a small economical i20 and that would be torturous.

The sentiment of the article about bad driving is perfectly sensible. Not sure about the proposed fixes. Quite a few of them are insane (not just that one). My personal proposed fix is to make it perfectly legal to run concealed speed cameras (both mobile and fixed) with no requirement for any sort of warning about the existence of them as well. ;)

The rest needs to come down to better traffic policing(which will cost) and better sentencing for motoring offences (no idea how to fix this one). One thing to consider is making the 12point ban compulsory (no mitigating circumstances will let you keep your license).

Mike
  • mudcovered wrote:
    The rest needs to come down to better traffic policing(which will cost) and better sentencing for motoring offences (no idea how to fix this one). One thing to consider is making the 12point ban compulsory (no mitigating circumstances will let you keep your license).

As long as they get rid of the possibility of getting caught by 4 cameras on the same stretch of road and you automatically losing your licence. Otherwise I would agree.
  • tangled_metal
    I believe there's a guy in Yorkshire with 32 points on his licence but hasn't been banned. Why? What is the point of the points system if a great lawyer can make such a mockery of the system?

Speeding caught through cameras should be enforced. If the speed cameras are on the same stretch of road then so be out provided there is s reason. For example if there's a dangerous site with a history of accidents, school, retirement home with crossing and a school crossing point along the road then I could see the being a justified reason for sufficient cameras to get you banned. Besides they're visible and it's the driver's responsibility to know and drive below the speed limit.

One other thing passing your points to another should be prosecuted as a serious offence. Jail time for both IMHO. Like that politician and later to be.ex wife.
  • I'd like to see speeding become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
  • tangled_metal
    I'd like to see speeding become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
    Me too. While you're mentioning it I'd like to add mobile phone use whilst driving (indeed operation of any electronic gadget including radio and sat nav whilst operating a vehicle). Add mobile phone use on a bike too. There's a guy I see who watches you tube videos or something like that whilst cycling a cycle/pedestrian path. He's all over the place.

Add in close overtaking of cyclists and especially harassing them by various means.

Reality is speeding is almost universally a part of modern driving. Although drink driving levels were high (a lot of people drank to the limit but ended up over) it wasn't really a part of the driving so I believe easier to cut back or give up. If you kept within speed limits now you'd be considered driving too slow.