4th ride in but first off road

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
Finally took the hoodoo off road today and the bikes great but me on the other hand was rubbish. Boy does off road take it out of you.

This was my forth ride out. First three at Draycote water so all tarmac with a few steady climbs. Totalling 15.5km in 1 hour and 9 mins and then second run was 55mins then third I managed it in 49 mins but was hard going.

Today was 15km on roads to newbold common woods then through the woods and back home. I'm pooped. Had to stop a few times and almost had a wobble. I tried one of the sis gels and it seemed to work. Not that I noticed but I got back on and made it home so it must have worked.

Totalled 57km in 9 days which I'm chuffed about. Fingers crossed the scales are good to me Saturday morning, I better have lost more weight. Only like 5 stone to go.

I'm meant to be going to Cannock Saturday morning but kind of bricking it. I'm no way near fit enough and I've not built any confidence off road. Will see how it goes. Anyway took a few pics :).

6E04839A-0992-46F3-A2BF-206F58C2236E.jpg

8FA917B1-763F-4319-81BC-5625A20D2781.jpg

83657219-36E3-478D-B30E-F7CFD6C75DB2.jpg

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You'll have fun at Cannock, don't worry about your fitness, you'll still have fun might just take a bit longer. Make sure you eat a decent breakfast and take some food on the ride, flapjacks and jam sandwiches work well - also energy powders that you mix with water work well - I use one called "Go" - don't wait until you start to feel tired, just keep eating/drinking little and often after half hour or so. I know you are trying to lose weight but you still need fuel to ride otherwise you'll just burn out and end up eating even more when you get back!! I don't use gels, IMO only good for emergencies when you hit the wall and need to get home, if you really need a gel it's too late and you haven't been fuelling yourself enough.

And a decent rest will do wonders, don't overdo things too soon, have a few days off, eat healthy and you'll be amazed how much better you do next ride
  • That's some great advice. The gel was at that point of damn I need to get home and there is no way I'm ringing the wife :).

I'm thinking porridge, Apple and banana for breakfast. Flap jack sounds like a plan.

I've got the sis lemon tablets for my water.

I've got all tomorrow to rest and eating healthy anyway, my fingers are crossed. :)
  • JGTR
    Porridge and fruit is a good breakfast - full English also works well, just give it a couple of hours before you start the ride!! On a long ride I'll eat a banana or choccy bar right at the start.
  • Hi there Daniel,

Thanks for sharing your story so far. It sounds to me like you've achieved a heck of a lot in a short space of time. 57k in 9 days is impressive.
    I'm in a worse position than you weight and fitness wise, and I find your journey motivating. On Saturday I'll be picking up a new bike, haven't ridden for about 10 years, and even then I was overweight and mega unfit. I plan to start a couple of posts of my own, but I'll wait till I collect the bike first.

All the best, and keep it going!

Best regards,

Greenback
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    Don't worry about Cannock, if you don't do it you'll always find an excuse.

Good going on the kms, you've burnt about a pound worth of calories (assuming you've avoided rewarding yourself with cake).
  • JGTR
    Good going on the kms, you've burnt about a pound worth of calories (assuming you've avoided rewarding yourself with cake).

You'll probably find that you have lost a lot more than a pound as the overall combined effects and benefits of exercise are far greater......but it is predominately diet that will help you shift he weight, annoyingly :x :lol:
  • I really hope it's more than a pound off. I've been dieting for a month or so now, already had lost a stone before getting the bike. Apart from a wedding at the weekend which involved a few drinks and food I should be good.

Either way the weight is going to take a long time so as long as I improve on fitness I'm happy :).

I'm so glad I went for the hoodoo, it's great so far. Still needs a little adjustment in the gears as going from 2-3 can some times take a little long. It think I'll leave that to the 6 week service as I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for all the comments it's great encouragement :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you're fairly local to me (North edge of L/Spa for me).

If you do get the 'bonk' when trying to lose wait you need the minimum number of calaries to keep going (for obvious reasons) so you continue to metabolise fat reserves into available energy.

Royal Leamington Spa Cycle club do weekly off road MTB rides, social ride on a Wednesday evening and a faster ride on a Thursday (about 16 miles plus any transit either end) if you are interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like you're fairly local to me (North edge of L/Spa for me).

If you do get the 'bonk' when trying to lose wait you need the minimum number of calaries to keep going (for obvious reasons) so you continue to metabolise fat reserves into available energy.

Royal Leamington Spa Cycle club do weekly off road MTB rides, social ride on a Wednesday evening and a faster ride on a Thursday (about 16 miles plus any transit either end) if you are interested.

Thats great, if you can pm me some more info about where you go etc. would love to join in and wednesday is a good day :)
  • The Rookie
    All on the Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/rlsxc/
    Got it the wrong way round (see 9th August post), Thursday is the social ride, departs Giant Store Leamington at 6:45pm , approx 16 miles, and then Wednesday is the training ride departing at 7pm and circa 20 miles at 12-14mph ave. They've been tinkering with the slots recently!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    All on the Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/rlsxc/
    Got it the wrong way round (see 9th August post), Thursday is the social ride, departs Giant Store Leamington at 6:45pm , approx 16 miles, and then Wednesday is the training ride departing at 7pm and circa 20 miles at 12-14mph ave. They've been tinkering with the slots recently!

perfect.

im just not sure i could handle 16-20 miles off road yet, would struggle on road :)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You'd be fine with any distance as long as you pace yourself.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Mountain biking is hard work at first but your fitness and handling will rapidly improve. Sherwood pines is also quite nearby and has good facilities. OS maps and google maps satellite view let you check local trails out. Strava will show which routes and trails local riders use both on and off road.

The fastest way to lose weight is don't eat fast , processed or sugary food. Instead eat fresh fruit, vegetables and meat or fish. This doesn't mean living off salad and cardboard. Junk food is designed to be very addictive.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Kajjal wrote:
    The fastest way to lose weight is don't eat fast , processed or sugary food. Instead eat fresh fruit, vegetables and meat or fish. This doesn't mean living off salad and cardboard. Junk food is designed to be very addictive.

This. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Just bare that in mind, i get the impression people tend to over-estimate how many calories moderate exercise burns and get frustrated when the weight doesnt fall off. My last ride was 33km in 2h 46m, with 1000m of climbing over 4 climbs, and that burned 1500kal - not much considering it felt pretty tough! Getting a heart rate monitor is interesting, far from 100% accurate but it will give you an idea. Works well with the Runtastic App which is what i use, its fab!
    If youre going down the low carb route to weight loss, which does work, you'll need to ditch that before a ride. Going out on a ride having consumed too few carbs will be awful!
    Mountainbiking is brill. I made huge changes to my life (weight wasnt my issue, it was booze) and there's no way i could have done it without my two wheeled friend.
    Good luck man :)
  • The Rookie
    Hicks lodge is close(almost certainly closer than the pines) and a good entry level MTB course for gaining some confidence in your ability to ride distances off road as it rides like a natural trail (flat)..and you're never too far from the car!
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    I meant a pound in exercise calories. As said above, it's the diet that makes the difference. You sound like youre doing it right though. A cheat day is needed to keep you sane
  • Cheat day is this evening. It burning around 700 cals around Cannock today will help. Will fill everyone in on Cannock when I get a min. Blumin awesome. :)
  • kajjal
    That's actually a good idea, have a cheat day after you have been out riding for the day. It pretty much cancels itself out.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    That's actually a good idea, have a cheat day after you have been out riding for the day. It pretty much cancels itself out.

Going to Cannock wasn't anything to do with losing weight, it was to have some fun which I did.

I cycle 3 days a week for cardio to lose weight which is working. Over a stone gone in around 4 weeks.

Cheat day was a night out with friends involving 1 bottle of beer and some meat with salad... I'll be fine :)
  • oxoman wrote:
    Enjoy the night out you deserve it, a stone in four weeks is good going. Keep it up and you will be better for it, just a pain in the ars* keeping it off. Give hicks a try, but be prepared to hurt a bit. It may be flat and only a blue but its hard work and worth it to build fitness and endurance up.

The plan is to give everywhere a try. I have a feeling this is going to become a bit of an obsession. I'm sat here now with sore legs but would go tomorrow :).
  • kajjal
    Kajjal wrote:

Going to Cannock wasn't anything to do with losing weight, it was to have some fun which I did.

I cycle 3 days a week for cardio to lose weight which is working. Over a stone gone in around 4 weeks.

Cheat day was a night out with friends involving 1 bottle of beer and some meat with salad... I'll be fine :)

My cheat night is plenty of Cobra and a huge indian meal. I think you will be safe :)

Your doing well just keep going and don't worry when it gets harder to lose weight it just means you are fitter and healthier.