Compatibility of SRAM Force 22 crank with 105 group

Maltess
Maltess Posts: 11
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello, I bought a Cannondale Synapse and I wanted to installl a 53/39 crank on the bike. The rest of the group is Shimano 105. Is a Sram Force 22 crankset doing to work well with a 105 group? I am reading they are optimize to work with the Yaw Sram derailleur, is this a problem?

These are my options, what do you think guys is the best for the bike in terms of performance?

-Sram Force or Rival crankset with Shimano 105 group

-Shimano 105 crankset with BB30 adapters and Sh 105 group

-FSA crankset (equivalent to 105) with Sh 105 group.

Comments

• hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    You need to be careful here, because and I'm open to correction but the Synapse is BB30A (73mm wide shell). As far as I know Sram cranks (BB30) will work with BB30A ,someone more expert than me would know if they are compatible with 105. I got a Synapse Hi Mod frame and I used a C-Bear BB to run Shimano cranks.I see that Wheels Mfg. do an adaptor as well to run Shimano cranks.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If the chainset is the right bb standard, it will work with 105
  • Maltess
    the chainset is the one that comes with the bike. Its a cannondale synapse 105, everything os 105 except the crankset, which is a FSA gossamer 50/34. I want to install a 53/39, either a BB30 Sram crank or a 105 crank with adapters, which combination do you think will work the best?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I suspect that there may not be that much noticeable difference. What I would say though is that it's definitely not worth the extra outlay to get the Force one.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I see that you are aiming for 53/39. If 52/36 would do you, another option would be to get different rings to fit your existing crankset eg Praxis. Just a thought....

On the other hand a 24mm spindle crankset will work with adaptors and spacers.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    Sram force 22 BB30 for sale in the classifieds that should get you sorted. No need to mess around with adaptors.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Maltess wrote:
    the chainset is the one that comes with the bike. Its a cannondale synapse 105, everything os 105 except the crankset, which is a FSA gossamer 50/34. I want to install a 53/39, either a BB30 Sram crank or a 105 crank with adapters, which combination do you think will work the best?

SRAM Force is going up in standards compared to the 105. The SRAM equivalent of 105 is Rival, hence the name.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Maltess
    Hello, another option now is to install a rotor crankset. I am dont have experience with this, it seems that I have to install a rotor bottom bracket in order to use rotor cranksets in bb30 frame, Is there any compatibility issue with this rotor BB?
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    Maltess wrote:
    what do you think guys is the best for the bike in terms of performance?

SRAM Force 22 is about 40g's lighter and a bit stiffer than the 105. The weight difference you won't feel and i guess unless you're churning out massive power, the extra stiffness is neither here or there.

If you want a noticeable difference when riding save up your cash and go for a full DA or Red groupset.
  • Maltess
    Can I use Prisma Zayante crankset in a BB30a frame?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Maltess wrote:
    Hello, another option now is to install a rotor crankset. I am dont have experience with this, it seems that I have to install a rotor bottom bracket in order to use rotor cranksets in bb30 frame, Is there any compatibility issue with this rotor BB?

Rotor do a range of BBs. Contact Velotech and ask them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.