Disk Brake Wheels - Centerlock and 6 Bolt

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I've just placed an order for a new disk brake road bike, and I would like to swap over my current disc wheels over to the new bike when it arrives but I have a compatibility problem.

Current bike wheels: (prolite revo) are 6 bolt with 160mm rotors run with avid BB7

New bike wheels: are centrelock with 140mm rotors run with Shimano hydraulic.

I'm trying to work out the most sensible way of doing this. From what I understand:
You can convert a centrelock to 6-bolt wheel but not the reverse, so I think I'll have to buy new 6 bolt 140mm rotors for the current wheels to work with the new bike (there seems to be a lot of choice and big price differences) and then an adaptor to convert the centrelock wheels to 6-bolt in order to use them on the old bike with the old rotors.

Does that seem correct and the best way of doing it?

Comments

• Look at the price of the rotors and the conversion kits... You may find it more sensible to buy the native rotors required rather than conversion adaptors.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,884
    Have you bought a Cannondale Synapse?

The best value, that I could find, 140mm rotors, are the SRAM Centreline ones - £21.28 each here, though you need to spend more than £50 for free postage.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/78363/SRAM_Centerline_Disc_Brake_Rotor
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • timmyotool
    Thanks,

It seems the adaptors are about £10 - 15 which is slightly cheaper than centrelock rotors, so that would solve getting the new wheels onto the current bike.

Current wheels to new bike means buying new 140MM 6 bolt rotors. Thanks Daniel, those Sram seem to be the cheapest I've seen. I assume they'll be no issue mixing Sram rotors with Shimano brakes?

I bought this (but an ex-display version for £950) blah blah Evans...but I've not been able to find that spec anywhere for that price, and the black on black logo means hopefully no one will notice :lol:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-dolomite-6-2016-road-bike-EV244122
  • daniel_b
    timmyotool wrote:
    Thanks,

It seems the adaptors are about £10 - 15 which is slightly cheaper than centrelock rotors, so that would solve getting the new wheels onto the current bike.

Current wheels to new bike means buying new 140MM 6 bolt rotors. Thanks Daniel, those Sram seem to be the cheapest I've seen. I assume they'll be no issue mixing Sram rotors with Shimano brakes?

I bought this (but an ex-display version for £950) blah blah Evans...but I've not been able to find that spec anywhere for that price, and the black on black logo means hopefully no one will notice :lol:

Looks like a nice bike, and a very good price - I was lucky enough to nab a 52cm fuji earlier this year for my gf - it has the same spec as yours, and was the last one, but with vouchers I can purchase through work I managed to get it for £820, which I was very pleased with, as was she - now shod with Tortec guards, it's a very capable winter machine, and child seat carrying bike.

SRAM rotors with something else will be fine, as long as it is the right size, and they seem to have pretty good reviews.

I have done similar to you, except I will be selling on my new Mavic wheels, tyres and rotors, in my case, I think I have the same shifters and brakes as you, and have already fitted the SRAM rotors onto them with no issues, and only a minor bit of rear calliper tweaking required so it did not rub - do be prepared for that, sometimes the mounting surfaces are mm different, which can be all it needs to rub like a demon :twisted:

Do you have any links to the adaptors you have found - just curious really.

Thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • timmyotool
    Daniel B wrote:
    timmyotool wrote:
    Thanks,

Looks like a nice bike, and a very good price - I was lucky enough to nab a 52cm fuji earlier this year for my gf - it has the same spec as yours, and was the last one, but with vouchers I can purchase through work I managed to get it for £820, which I was very pleased with, as was she - now shod with Tortec guards, it's a very capable winter machine, and child seat carrying bike.

SRAM rotors with something else will be fine, as long as it is the right size, and they seem to have pretty good reviews.

I have done similar to you, except I will be selling on my new Mavic wheels, tyres and rotors, in my case, I think I have the same shifters and brakes as you, and have already fitted the SRAM rotors onto them with no issues, and only a minor bit of rear calliper tweaking required so it did not rub - do be prepared for that, sometimes the mounting surfaces are mm different, which can be all it needs to rub like a demon :twisted:

Do you have any links to the adaptors you have found - just curious really.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks for the advice Dan, I was expecting it to be not quite as easy as I expected.
    I'm looking at these adaptors as they are official Shimano. I'm not quite sure how it'll work as I would have thought it would shift the position of the rotor quite significantly but we'll see...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-6-bolt-to-centrelock-rotor-hub-adapter-rtad05/

There are some slightly cheaper:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/aztec-centre-lock-adaptor-EV173105

Cheers, Tim
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Tim, they look very neat and cheap as a conversion kit - I agree it looks like it might move the location of the disc, but they must have engineered it to retain the same position somehow, would be interested to hear how you get on with them for sure.

Oh and just to add, the Winstanley ones are currently out of stock, but the latest I had was an e-mail to say they would be in stock on or before the 15th, it had previously said the 8th - I'm not in any hurry, as these are for my spare wheels with gravel tyres, but you may need yours sooner?

Oh and also just to add, can you then not also sell on the new rotors from your new wheels, as they will be redundant, which may recoup the cost of your new 140mm rotors for the old wheels - very confusing!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • timmyotool
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks Tim, they look very neat and cheap as a conversion kit - I agree it looks like it might move the location of the disc, but they must have engineered it to retain the same position somehow, would be interested to hear how you get on with them for sure.

Oh and just to add, the Winstanley ones are currently out of stock, but the latest I had was an e-mail to say they would be in stock on or before the 15th, it had previously said the 8th - I'm not in any hurry, as these are for my spare wheels with gravel tyres, but you may need yours sooner?

Oh and also just to add, can you then not also sell on the new rotors from your new wheels, as they will be redundant, which may recoup the cost of your new 140mm rotors for the old wheels - very confusing!

I'll let you know how I get on, eta on the bike is 10 days and then the tinkering begins...

Thanks for letting me know, I'll probably pay a bit more from someone else then.

That's a good point, I'm already going to change the cassette for a big fat 32 on the back so I'll have a RD and cassette to flog, feels like I'm selling half the bike!
  • timmyotool
    Update:

Bike arrived last week and spent most of last night tinkering.

I bought the 140 Sram rotors from Tredz in the end, with a £5 discount voucher that popped up on screen.
    Swapping the old wheels over to the new bike was easy, just had to swap the rotors, loosen of the calliper, grab brake and re-tighten. Benefits of dual pivot callipers!

Moving the new wheels onto the old bikes was a bit trickier, the centrelock to 6-bolt adaptor worked fine but warning, you need a shimano cassette tool to remove the centrelock rotors and then for some reason the adaptors require a shimano bottom bracket tool to tighten them and the supplied bolts to fit the 6 bolt rotors are torx 15! and were a total pain to screw in with the tiny screwdriver I had.

All in all, relatively pain free experience.
  • daniel_b
    Good news indeed - any pics??

I knew about the cassette tool requirement, but not the BB one - bizarre!

The SRAM ones I ordered were despatched on Thursday, so I reckon I will have them on Monday.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18