Cranking Cannondale Synapse???

IamPlod
IamPlod Posts: 23
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I've just taken a Cannondale Synapse 105 ally disc bike out for a test ride as I'm thinking of getting one next week. It's my first road bike and I noticed the ride comfort was quite hard compared to previous bikes I've had. I guess this is quite common as I've not had a proper road bike before and I'll get used to it.
The bike was lovely to ride but I did notice that when I peddled hard up a small incline it did make a "cranking" sound as I peddled. Is this something that I should expect and may go once the bike is worn in or is it the sign of a problem/issue?
Should I be worried?
Cheers.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Crank gears or chain seem to need looking at however don't buy it if you don't really like it!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It shouldn't make any weird sounds if it is new. Might be bottom bracket noise btw, still shouldn't make noise, and it won't improve when worn in.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have an older Synapse alloy and having some clanking which I suspect is the BB. Reading around it seems the BB30 may be prone to it; that doesn't make it right, and the power of Internet forum amplification may have inflated the perceived issue, but in my case I believe it to be true.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Guy at my LBS reckons the creaking is more often the left hand crank/spindle interface on FSA chainsets and can be silenced by re-greasing the spindle splines.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Probably thick here, but what is the problem with a bit of noise? Is this a sign of something wearing?

Is the 105 the orange or the blue bike? It's nice but not sure on the disk brakes on a road bike?
  • Two points:
    1. It shouldn't make any noise at all: get the dealer to sort it out.
    2. Although this is your first road bike, which will be markedly different to what you've had before, the Synapse is one of the most comfortable designs on the market. If this one is uncomfortable make sure that it's the right size for you and correctly fitted and set up by the dealer before you part with any money. You wouldn't spend £500 on a suit without a proper fitting, so much the more for a £1000 bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,872
    mcxfisher wrote:
    the Synapse is one of the most comfortable designs on the market. If this one is uncomfortable make sure that it's the right size for you and correctly fitted and set up by the dealer before you part with any money. You wouldn't spend £500 on a suit without a proper fitting, so much the more for a £1000 bike.

Yep, this with bells on, I could not believe how comfy my alloy Synapse was when I first got it, and I know I have bleated on about it on here before - it was so comfy, I rode it with no handlebar tape for about 4 weeks, and I've put a very thin covering on now, as it only needs it for grip on the drops.

It's like riding a wonderfully plush armchair - still responsive though, and climbs and accelerates nicely.

I am expecting the carbon one to be like a giant beanbag, but hopefully better up hills!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I think comfort is dependent on what you're used to.

I spent years on a full suss mtb and then bought a Defy - a 'comfortable' bike but felt like my fillings were going to drop out on rough roads. A year later and I'm loving the smooth ride as I'm now used to it but 3x the tyre pressure and no suspension means it's never going to be as plush.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    GrenW wrote:
    I think comfort is dependent on what you're used to.

I spent years on a full suss mtb and then bought a Defy - a 'comfortable' bike but felt like my fillings were going to drop out on rough roads. A year later and I'm loving the smooth ride as I'm now used to it but 3x the tyre pressure and no suspension means it's never going to be as plush.

The comfort thing will likely be this. Used to an MTB my first test ride on a road bike was a bit of a shock. That and the bike shop may have pumped the tyres up rock hard.

Properly set up the Synapse is one of the comfiest road bikes.

The creaking noise may well have been the FSA crank, or it could also be BB30 bearings...
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Guy at my LBS reckons the creaking is more often the left hand crank/spindle interface on FSA chainsets and can be silenced by re-greasing the spindle splines.

I was told exactly the same when my wife's 2016 Synapse Alu Tiagra started to make a god awful sound after about 3 or 4 weeks. All easily sorted and not a sound since.
    Any noise on a Cannondale and people go in to panic mode that they've got a creaking BB30 when I think really they're quite rare because otherwise why would they still make them ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • daniel_b
    Galatzo wrote:
    Guy at my LBS reckons the creaking is more often the left hand crank/spindle interface on FSA chainsets and can be silenced by re-greasing the spindle splines.

I was told exactly the same when my wife's 2016 Synapse Alu Tiagra started to make a god awful sound after about 3 or 4 weeks. All easily sorted and not a sound since.
    Any noise on a Cannondale and people go in to panic mode that they've got a creaking BB30 when I think really they're quite rare because otherwise why would they still make them ?

Ah ok, so simply whip the non drive side crank off, wedge a load of grease in, and re-attach it?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Galatzo wrote:

Creaking 'dales are reknown because it's a cr@p design poorly executed and has resulted in booming sales of adaptor BBs - the likes of Praxis and Wheels Mfg wouldn't be in business if Cannondale had got it right!

OP, just make sure you've got good after sales support, if you ride in the rain without mudguards, re-pack the bearings with marine grease, take the seatpost out and let the water that's collected in the BB out! After 6 months you'll probably swap to a non-BB30 crank for a creak-free existence.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • daniel_b
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

Creaking 'dales are reknown because it's a cr@p design poorly executed and has resulted in booming sales of adaptor BBs - the likes of Praxis and Wheels Mfg wouldn't be in business if Cannondale had got it right!

OP, just make sure you've got good after sales support, if you ride in the rain without mudguards, re-pack the bearings with marine grease, take the seatpost out and let the water that's collected in the BB out! After 6 months you'll probably swap to a non-BB30 crank for a creak-free existence.

The bold bit is something I will want to do on both of mine eventually, as I fancy going to Ultegra chainsets.
    Is there one recommended conversion option rated above others?

Ah and one of mine is a BB30A, (or maybe both of them are as they are disc?) so not sure if that complicates things at all.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,768
    If you think the Synapse is uncomfortable, try a few others. I hired one last year and thought it was amazingly comfortable first time out.
  • myideal
    So does this mean that Cannodale are bikes to avoid then? You would hope that if this was a common problem it would have been resolved.

Out of interest what is the difference between what Cannondale use on their bikes? For example I have seen the following bottom brackets quoted on their bikes?

FSA BB30
    PressFit30
    FSA Cartridge
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think if every Cannondale BB30 / BB30A bottom bracket started creaking without constant greasing and reinstallation they'd have done something about it some time ago. Hard to tell how widespread the issue is; generally the only ones to post on the internet are those with a problem; could be millions of happy owners blissfully unaware that the occasional bike creaks.

With BB30 the bearings press straight into the BB shell, so the tolerances have to be very good.

BB86 the bearings are in plastic cups which are pressed into the BB shell (well the Shimano BB on my Scott is anyway; still blissful silence 3 years on)
  • myideal
    Is it just the BB30 or all of them that are affected?

FSA BB30
    PressFit30
    FSA Cartridge

What is different about these?
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    edited August 2016
    Pressfit bottom brackets have cups that the bearings sit in which are then pressed into the frame which means the tolerances don't have to be quite so tight in frame manufacture. Installing with locktite or grease stops it creaking, how long it lasts depends how much wet riding you do and if you use mudguards. I have found the pf30 BB from Wheels MFG with alloy cups lasts MUCH longer than the plastic ones 8)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • dnwhite88
    FSA stands for full speed ahead, it's a brand name.
  • myideal
    Oh so the cartridge will just basically be the old system of a push in system?

What's the Press Fit system like though?
  • dnwhite88
    I don't understand the question. Press fit bb's are not unique to cannondale, you will find them on the majority of new bikes in your LBS. if fitted properly they can last for thousands of creak free miles.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    My CAAD12 creaks/creaked - currently waiting for it to come back from Cannondale for the second time, and that's after having the BB refitted and loctited before that. Aparantly this time they reckon it's the rear wheel making the noise regardless of the fact that the wheels were on my previous bike and made no noise at all.....that said I love the bike!

Appreciate not the same frame, but potentially same noise....