Painting my Stumpjumper

WalterWhite
WalterWhite Posts: 32
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper that I built up myself.

I bought the frame used on eBay but at the time it was still in pretty good condition, but now after many rides and many many falls... it's starting to look very used.

I'm thinking of stripping it down soon and giving it a bit of a facelift. My brother sprays cars for a living and he's said he will spray it for me, but he wasn't sure how well any colored paint would hold up over the top of the black frame, and said maybe powder coating it would be better?

I wanted st sprat it a bright colour like yellow, or lime green, but now I'm thinking a coat of fresh black over the top of the existing might fare up better (with new decals to match obviously).

Does anyone have any advice for doing this? or any pics (before and after if possible) of them doing similar to their frames. How did the paint hold up after a few falls etc?

Any help would be brilliant :)

Thanks

MKoobM2.jpg
JIz4Bak.jpg

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Supprised your brother did't suggest a base coat of white primer, then you can put any colour on top?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's a mountain bike, it's supposed to look used!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bloody hell, compared to my last MTB that looks pristine!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The colour underneath is irrelevant as you can use a primer, if your brother doesn't know that then not sure I'd let him paint my bike, certainly not my car!

Personally I'd go for 2k, greater choice of colours and hard wearing - both finishes will chip and scratch so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That's in better condition than my year old Transition!
    Leave it as it is, it's going to get damaged anyway.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    JGTR wrote:
    The colour underneath is irrelevant as you can use a primer, if your brother doesn't know that then not sure I'd let him paint my bike, certainly not my car!

Personally I'd go for 2k, greater choice of colours and hard wearing - both finishes will chip and scratch so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other.

I'd go for 2k too after shot blasting the frame and a 2k primer.
  • Thanks guys,

I think my bro was referring to the durability of the finish, compared to the original black. This was over facebook chat mind you, he works in Dubai at the moment but said he could do it for me next time he's back. Thinking about it, suggesting powdercoating might have just been his way of saying he'd rather not do it :P

I imagine though that a non-factory painted finish would surely chip and scratch much easier than the factory finish? Could be wrong though.

I'll get some better pics of the damage up when I'm back home, but although the pics make it look fairly good, in the flesh it's ropey at best. If I sold this bike to you on eBay and stated 'average condition' you would be disappointed when it arrived. The entire frame is covered in fine scratches so the finish has gone dull, the rear swingarm has huge areas where there is no paint at all, just the bare metal showing through, and there's quite a few deep scratches on the main frame too, particularly right across one of the 'stumpjumper' logos which drives me mad.

Maybe i'm being to fussy! :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I've never seen a re-painted bike that actually looked good or lasted long.
    If I was buying used I'd pay more for a slightly tatty bike with original paint than one which has been painted.
  • Rockmonkey - that's what I suspected... :(

I was wondering if I could somehow machine polish the frame, as you'll see below, its covered in hairline scratches, as well as the more obvious damage:

FzKQK1K.jpg
    oYqaqha.jpg
    dVykO1b.jpg
    IhkyYZw.jpg
    k2M4I4p.jpg
    jNqio1Y.jpg
    lL1RVLX.jpg

What sort of condition are your bikes compared to mine?

Pretty much all of my riding friends have new or nearly new bikes too, which doesn't help mine looking like a tired old dog :(
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Rockmonkey - that's what I suspected... :(

I was wondering if I could somehow machine polish the frame, as you'll see below, its covered in hairline scratches, as well as the more obvious damage:

What sort of condition are your bikes compared to mine?

Pretty much all of my riding friends have new or nearly new bikes too, which doesn't help mine looking like a tired old dog :(

Really can't wait until my 2015 stumpy looks more like this. It's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get worn. Only roadies bleat on about their bikes not looking new any more.

Rock climbers get the piss ripped out of them if they have a new looking rack, a tatty rack shows the climber is experienced, a new one just shows that the guy in the shop is experienced.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • rockmonkeysc
    y2keable wrote:
    [
    Rock climbers get the wee-wee ripped out of them if they have a new looking rack, a tatty rack shows the climber is experienced, a new one just shows that the guy in the shop is experienced.

My climbing gear has gone past that point and now no one wants to climb on any of it! I don't see what's wrong with my old moac nuts and Russian "titanium" screw gates!
    Wear on a mountain bike frame is character, it shows that a bike is enjoyed.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    If you like the bike and you plan to keep it a while then sure go for it, but get it powdercoated, its miles more hardwearing than auto paint and will take some hammer. Then get some custom graphics made up by theses guys http://www.slikgraphics.com

For painting, I've heard good things about this company... https://www.facebook.com/Total-Blast-Se ... 4/?fref=ts
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Wear on a mountain bike frame is character, it shows that a bike is enjoyed.

Couldn't agree more.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    Hi there, I would powder coat every time and total Blaster are very good. I had a ratty Cube Fritzz finished by him and it looks brilliant. The deal with my son was cheap and not very good new or second hand and we will rebuild it, then you can have a colour of your choice. If I remember correctly I think I paid about £85.