An Hour to Save Your Life - spoiler alert

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
Anyone see this last night? F'ck me it was tense!

Julian came off his bike somwhere in the pennines and rearranged his lower face on a cattle grid, cycled 3 miles to a pub, then air ambulance to Newcastle. All looking gruesome but fixable.

He started to go a bit odd while being scanned, x-rayed etc. The consultant had a hunch that turned out to be correct; he'd also ruptured his carotid artery and was having a stroke, and his brain was dangerously swelling. Emergency surgery including sawing off a large chunk of his skull. Months later he's learning how to walk and his head looks like a deflated football because they haven't yet replaced the missing section of skull.

I was just glad my wife was out with her friend; she'd be having kittens every time I venture out.

Comments

• Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    Yeah, I couldn't believe how badly it turned out for Julian and his family.

I thought he'd be OK once he got to hospital and his face was put back together. How wrong I was.

It does make you reflect seriously on how fate can change your whole life in an instant.

If you you read this, Julian, I hope you are making good progress with your recovery. Get well soon, mate!
    - Slave to the cadence -