Women's saddles

cattytown
cattytown Posts: 647
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Is there such a thing as a good, generic women's saddle as a start point for a lady trying a road bike for the first time?

Thanks.
Giant Defy 2
Large bloke getting smaller :-)

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,872
    My GF, used to like Fizik Arione Donna saddles, post childbirth though, she now prefers the Selle Italia Diva Flow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    All 3 of my bikes are fitted with the Specialized Jett women’s saddle (not sure if you can still get it). Apparently you can have your seat bones measured to find the right saddle size. I like to ride on a wider seat (155cm) as I find it far more comfy than the narrow saddles for long distances.

Most bike shops have test saddles you borrow to try out.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-37579/
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Diva Gel Flow here too (well not me but...)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Diva Gel Flow here too (well not me but...)

Same one my missus uses. Has ridden double centuries in (relative) comfort.

Had a Specialized Ruby before that which she was fitted for but never got on with it. Also tried one of those Adamo weird things which was fine for a while.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    My Missus now uses a WTB Deva SLT, but unfortunately it's discontinued - there's limited stock around but it would come highly recommend by my wife!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Cheers guys
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    The trouble with saddles is that everyone is a different shape. What works well for one will be uncomfortable for another.

If you take a few of the suggestions here, try and find a selection of low-use saddles on eBay and try them for a ride or two. You will eventually find one that feels better than the others. The rest can be re-sold without much loss.
  • My wife recently switched from a Diva Flow to a Specialized Phenom, traditionally this is seen as a mens saddle but as she's upped her mileage recently she couldn't get on with the Diva Flow anymore and tried out one of my saddles which has been very comfortable over long hours in the saddle.

So don't necessarily assume you have to ride a women's specific saddle.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    My wife uses the Bontrager Anya..... however it really isn't that simple. My wife has cycled 1000's of kilometres and has always had saddle issues. Last year she was having problems again and I decided to use technology to help. I booked her in at Cyclefit in London for a pressure map session. Basically, she sits on a sensor pad and the computer interprets the data from the jig and gives a map of pedalling action/pressure. Session took 3 hours and revealed she had need of a wider saddle and there were other issues that required a podiatrist to look at. The session was £150 but I wasn't throwing money at a saddle in an effort to guess a solution. Since then no saddle issues.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Diva flow is wide, padded and heavy. Lots of ladies like it but others don't. The Selle Italia flow is firmer, narrower and lighter with a large cut-out.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D