stans grail tubeless

weaty
weaty Posts: 122
edited August 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi.
I need a new set of wheels for cross, I know I should get some tubular wheels but I would ideally like some year round use out of the wheels.
I have not heard too many good things about tubeless for cyclocross but I would like to give it a go.
Has anyone had success with the stans grail ?
Can you only use tubeless tyres or can you also use a clincher?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    edited August 2016
    Friend has a set, I told him to get tubs but he went tubeless anyway as he said he didn't want the 'faff' of gluing tyres. I told him all about my experience of getting road tubeless tyres to fit/seal but it didn't put him off. Getting them to seal in any form was difficult for a start, probably as time consuming as gluing tubs. Once we did get them sealed if you run them low enough to get any advantage out of not having tubes they burp. Add to this that most of the tubeless specific CX tyres are more expensive than tubs and don't perform any better than clinchers and you've got yourself a pretty pointless tyre system. They would definitely have some merit for touring/adventure riding etc but no good for racing in my experience.
  • weaty
    weaty Posts: 122
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I have been told so far, I know tubs are the answer, it's just £300 or £400 for maybe 8 races is steep. Maybe what I have to do though