Are Giro helmets any good?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Apparently Giro are doing a trade-in offer where you can trade in any old helmet and get 25% off a new Giro one (from a limited selection of Giro helmets).

I've got my very first helmet gathering dust now as I only ever use my Kask Mojuto these days so was thinking of getting a new helmet.

With the 25% trade-in discount a Giro could be tempting.

Comments

• Nothing against Giro but presumably that's 25% off RRP and you could easily get more than that off normally?

Specialized just did a similar promotion (and have before) at 50% off some models.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I find the Roc Loc 5 system ones (Synthe/Foray) really fiddly to get adjusted for fit and comfort and the straps don't seem to sit flat around the ears/face.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've always used Giro on both my mtb and road bike. Fit me well.

My wife though has never managed to get one to fit and has now got a Mojito. I've got to say that it's miles better than my Atmos at a similar price - lighter and more comfortable.

So I'd stick with your Mojito but at the very least try anything on first - fit is more important than price and as mentioned above 25% off is not that great.
  • rumbataz
    Yeah, I might leave it then.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    My sunglasses always fit better in conjunction with a Giro, not so the Mojito.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They fit me well but I only ever buy them when I find them discounted. 25% off RRP would be fairly easy to beat by keeping your eyes open.

Initially had an Atmos which was very light and well ventilated. However my son decided he wanted to buy it off me because the colour went perfectly with his bike (It does)

So I replaced it with a newer Ionos, in a colour scheme that goes with my kit but clashes with my son's :D
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Bought a Giro Synthe from Strava when it was discounted to £140. Took me bloody ages to get it to fit properly, but am really happy with it now.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,872
    Giro helmets have never fitted me sadly :-(

Lazer helmets are a thing of wonder though!
    And they have some big reductions on their own website.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As has been said, it's all down to fit - Giro fit me well so I'm a fan.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rumbataz
    It looks like the promotion is a USA-only thing and not available in the UK anyway.

FWIW, the prices of the three Giro helmets I may have been interested in were quoted as follows:

Synthe £229.99
    Savant £89.99
    Sonnet £94.99

I presume those are full RRP prices.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,872
    rumbataz wrote:
    It looks like the promotion is a USA-only thing and not available in the UK anyway.

FWIW, the prices of the three Giro helmets I may have been interested in were quoted as follows:

Synthe £229.99
    Savant £89.99
    Sonnet £94.99

I presume those are full RRP prices.

Yeh, the Synthe can now and then be hunted down for £125 or even £100.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I tried the Mojito and it didn't fit my head shape whereas Giro lids tend to fit like a glove - so definitely try before you buy. I'd like a Synthe but I don't need one right now so I'll lurk for a great deal.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    manufacturer trade ins are usually vs. rrp

normal online discounts will usually be much better value, especially if combined with an extra discount for things like signing up to a newsletter etc.

head shapes differ, first find which helmets fit and are comfy, then out of those choose which you prefer

i find giro and kask fit differently, of my two current helmets both are ok, but i prefer the fit of the protone to the ionos, it's also much better in strong crosswind than either aeon or ionos
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,539
    I've got a mojito for sale if interested, worn twice not for me. £70 white as new condition.