Triban 500SE / 520 vs Cannondale CAAD Claris 2016

smurkej
smurkej Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Been researching for quite a while now as to which road bike to get for my first one.

I have been looking at the well acclaimed and reviewed Triban 500SE but then noticed that the price has now dropped on the Cannondale CAAD Claris 2016 to £399.

Is it worth £99 more? Or if I'm going to spend £400 is it worth then spending another 50 notes and getting the Triban 520 with the Sora groupset?

I'd rather pay on 0% finance but Decathlon don't offer this, whereas the Cannondale can be bought on finance... but if the Triban is much better VFM I'd be ok to spend the cash..

Any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd go for the better frame and have the CAAD myself. You can always replace the Claris stuff if you ever wear it out / break it.
  • smurkej
    smurkej Posts: 5
    Thanks, according to Cannondales sizing chart I am a size 54 bike for height (5"10 and a half) and a size 52 bike according to the the inside leg (30.5") ! I guess I'd be a size 54 overall but best to go over to the bike shop and have them fit me properly..?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    smurkej wrote:
    Thanks, according to Cannondales sizing chart I am a size 54 bike for height (5"10 and a half) and a size 52 bike according to the the inside leg (30.5") ! I guess I'd be a size 54 overall but best to go over to the bike shop and have them fit me properly..?

Is the correct answer. And if they don't have both sizes to try, be wary of them insisting that the one they do have is the right size for you, unless you've ridden it and feel comfy on it.

Conventional advice is if you're between sizes, choose the smaller of the two because you can always raise the saddle and fit a longer stem. It's nearly impossible to adjust the fit if a frame's too big for you.