Change gear ratio on IGH

rbanksy
rbanksy Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in The workshop
Hi folks. Noob here in need of some advice.

I have a Carrera Subway 8 with internal gear hub (Nexus 8 I think).

The chain has stretched and is rusty, keeps slipping off. So I am going to replace it soon.

I only really use the bike for commuting to and from work (10mins each way) and it is a steep uphill in the morning which I am struggling with. I get to work sweatier than I would like!

So while I am replacing the chain, I wondered about replacing the chainring and/or sprocket at the same time.

I am confused about what to change in order to make uphill climbs easier - do I need a new sprocket or chainring. Or both? Do I go larger or smaller to change the ratio the way I want to?

Is there somewhere I can buy a set with compatible chain, sprocket and chainring all in one?

Any help gladly received :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the chain is that worn you will probably need a new chainring and sprocket.

To make it easier uphills you need a smaller chainring or larger sprocket (or a combination of the two) as that shortens the distance you travel for one turn of the cranks, the same effect as selecting a lower gear in a car.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.