Mavic Crossride Disc 29 creaking noise

Tr0nc0
Tr0nc0 Posts: 28
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!
I am writing this post to share a piece of information rather than asking for advice.
I discovered the rootcause to an apparently common issue on some mavic hubs to which I didn't find any solution going through forums even though being reported quite often.

I own a pair of Mavic Crossride Disc 29 two years old with just 600miles on them.
Recently I started hearing a creaking noise coming from the rear wheel when pedaling on steep climbs and also when locking the wheel with the brake and rocking the bike back and forth.
Took it to my LBS, they checked spoke tension, lubed spokes at rim and hub connections, checked the rim for cracks and still they did not manage to get rid of the noise.

What I then did was trying to ask Mavic support center if the hub on my Crossride could by any chance be assembled with several bits.

This was the answer I got:
"From the description you have given it sounds like the hub flange may have moved as you have said. The hub is a three piece hub being held together with a glue and the spoke tension.
If that is the case then the wheel is no longer safe to ride on and we recommend you do not ride on that specific wheel."

From a visual inspection is very hard to tell if it is one solid block or several components, even though the complexity of the flanges could give away the fact that is not a single element
This issue shows up as a creaking noise coming from the spokes which could make one think they are not correctly tensioned and they move at the rim or hub connection.
So once you have checked for tension and spoke ends lubrication then consider that the hub is not a single block but is made of two flanges and a body all glued together, and those might have come loose.

To understand the entity of the damage I should take the whole wheel apart. I have been assured by Mavic that is not a very frequent issue...let's see...

Hope this helps

F.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    well the hub will be a once piece machined steel or aluminium body and then you have the various parts to make it up freehub, bearings, axle etc.

I would have a look at the freehub body or the bearings something may just need a clean up and re grease.

have you checked for play in the rear wheel could just need the cones adjusting.

another thing you sure you haven't tightened the wheel axle QR or bolt through (whichever you have) too tight maybe the creak noise is coming from the frame?
  • Hi guys, I was having he same issue with my cross roc, 5 months after I got the wheels I noticed the clicking, based on Mavic 30% of the model had issues, had my wheels for over 2 years without knowing what the issue was until a mechanic who happens to deal Mavic told me, Mavic is fixing the issue outside the warranty.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    well the hub will be a once piece machined steel or aluminium body and then you have the various parts to make it up freehub, bearings, axle etc.
    Or you could read what he just put which happens to be true?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    Or you could read what he just put which happens to be true?

Negative, The mavic hub that came with the wheel is NOT a one piece hub, there’s a 2 piece that connect together, that’s where the issue I believe is coming from.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Have you tried lubing the skewer? You’d be surprised how often this is the cause of creaks like you describe.
  • Have you tried lubing the skewer? You’d be surprised how often this is the cause of creaks like you describe.

This is an issue with the hub, Mavic knows about this issue and replace several sets for this problem, assuming that’s why they don’t make the cross roc anymore, Mavic told me 30% of the wheels had issues so this is not related to the skewer or having anything loose, Mavic just gave me a brand new wheel for my cross roc even being outside the warranty.
  • karnasw
    karnasw Posts: 2
    saprissa26 wrote:
    Have you tried lubing the skewer? You’d be surprised how often this is the cause of creaks like you describe.

This is an issue with the hub, Mavic knows about this issue and replace several sets for this problem, assuming that’s why they don’t make the cross roc anymore, Mavic told me 30% of the wheels had issues so this is not related to the skewer or having anything loose, Mavic just gave me a brand new wheel for my cross roc even being outside the warranty.

How long your wheel was out of warranty? My wheel have this issue too. But no chance to fix this out of warranty (end in december 2015). Who you contacted? I'm living in Poland there is always problem with fixing broken stuff.

Now my bike sounds like low budget market bike.
  • milemuncher1
    I’ve suffered from exactly the same issue, it turned out to be a much simpler fix, lube the QR skewer. That sorted it in my case.
  • karnasw
    karnasw Posts: 2
    I’ve suffered from exactly the same issue, it turned out to be a much simpler fix, lube the QR skewer. That sorted it in my case.

Lubing QR can fix hub and spokes noise?
  • milemuncher1
    karnasw wrote:

Lubing QR can fix hub and spokes noise?

If that’s where you believe the noise to be coming from, yes. Also a dab of lube on the spoke crossover points can silence creaky noises quite nicely. If those ( relatively simple steps ) don’t work, start looking for more complex issues.
  • The Rookie
    Or you could have read the first post to the end?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • milemuncher1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or you could have read the first post to the end?

Ain’t no body got time for that.
  • The Rookie
    clearly, but reading to the end would have taken less time than entering your meaningless reply, poor time efficiency there.