Bedding in V-brake pads

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I've put some new pads on a bike with V-brakes, and the braking is unimpressive. What's the preferred method of bedding these things in?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• for me a quick couple of blasts down a nearby steepish hill pedalling with a single brake on gently ( & getting tighter as descending but never fully stopping ) usually does the trick, 2 maybe sometimes 3 runs & the brakes feel fine

a couple of things worthy of mention that many folks may overlook that could be cause of cruddy braking from the new pads.

have you cleaned up the rims braking surface with IPA or other such cleaning agent ( amazes me everytime i set to on my bike with IPA even straight after a quick wash - it brings out shed loads more crap from the rims & even the brake pads themselves - goes for both rims & rubber blocks as well as disks & pads )

if only replacing the blocks ( carriers stayed inplace on the bike ) did you ever mess with the carriers position during the life of the previous blocks ?? - if so double check the new blocks are making full contact with the braking surface as they may be off at a slight angle & thus crap brakes till they wear down to the required profile to make full contact again.

may also be worth pointing out what new blocks ( make/model ) you have fitted ( especially if they differ from your old blocks as others may have had similar troubles & tell you a better way to get em working or bin em & buy decent stuff etc.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    What is IPA?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Garry H wrote:
    What is IPA?

Iso-propyl alcohol (not India Pale Ale)
  • IPA = Isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol )

splosh a little onto a cloth & wipe the rims/blocks/disks etc - basically it quickly evaporates from the surface leaving little if nothing of itself behind ( more left behind the lower the % of IPA - so rubbing alcohol has some water content which wont evaporate fully compared with pure IPA - but costs are considerably less for rubbing alcohol normally ) - some brake cleaning products can leave a fair bit of stuff behind even if it gets rid of the dirt & grime on to the cloth.

not really applicable here but worth a mention anyway,

only extra step i use if i manage to contaminate my disk pads with some crud ( on a ride or during cleaning ( overenthusiastic spraying of bike shine etc ) is after the IPA clean ( wont do much other than remove surface crud on pads ) i then give the pads ( disk versions ) a wave over with a blowtorch ( gas soldering iron with blowtorch head on ) to help burn out a few more bits thats left in the pad itself - if this fails to bring em back to life i bin em & put new in.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Thanks. Second time I'd read about it on here in as many weeks.