Shimano Cassette on Campy Hub

huskie69
huskie69 Posts: 87
edited August 2016 in Workshop
HI all

I've just acquired a new wheelset with a Campagnolo freehub. Unfortunately, I run an 11 speed Ultregra Di2 setup.

In the interests of spending the least amount of money as possible, I'm looking for the cheapest option to run these wheeels on my Shimano setup.

I've read that that 11 speed Shimano and Campy cassettes are so close these days that they're pretty much interchangeable. A Shimano 11 speed chain will mesh fine with an 11spd campy cassette and the indexing is nearly bang on.

I believe my options are (most expensive first):
    Get the wheel rebuilt with a Shimano hub - cost £££ Fit and run a campy cassette - ££ Find a cassette that fits on a campy hub, but is indexed for Shimano - £ - ???

The last option seems to be the cheapest at the moment and I've been looking at "Ambrosio" cassettes that seem to be Shimano/Campy conversions. However, I can't find 11 speed Ambrosio cassettes that fit on a campy hub - they're listed as "Shimano splined" so I'm assuming these will only fit on Shimano freehubs. Is this correct?

And if anyone is successfully running a campagnolo cassette with a Shimano groupset, how's it working out for you?
Sensa SL Aquila Di2
Mekk Poggio 2.5 (smashed but can't bear to part with a carbon frame :( )
Cannondale Synapse CAAD10 (Winter Hack)
Shark Attack Pro Ltd - TT project build

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Campag and Shimano 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable with shifters of the other manufacturer. Simplest option I think is to get a Shimano freehub and change the freehub - no need to rebuild the wheel.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • huskie69
    drlodge wrote:
    Campag and Shimano 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable with shifters of the other manufacturer. Simplest option I think is to get a Shimano freehub and change the freehub - no need to rebuild the wheel.

Thanks drlodge - when you say Shimano freehub - do you mean something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-wh-6800-r-freehub-body/ - do these fit on any wheelset or are they specific to shimano hubs? I believe the hub on my new wheelset is made by "NovaTec" - so I'm guessing I'd need a novatec specific freehub?
    Sensa SL Aquila Di2
  • drlodge
    Yes, just like that. Needs to fit your hub, others may know exactly which freehub you need - A, B2, or C . May be look here http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/no ... tap-hubs-1 and google for the model you need.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Or drop Malcolm an email....
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Am I missing something??

Just put a Campag 11 speed cassette on the Campag wheelset. The sprocket spacing is identical so it will work with your 11 speed Shimano stuff.

Don't go faffing with changing freehubs unneccessarily...
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    keef66 wrote:
    Am I missing something??

Just put a Campag 11 speed cassette on the Campag wheelset. The sprocket spacing is identical so it will work with your 11 speed Shimano stuff.

What he said.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    keef66 wrote:
    Am I missing something??

Agreed. Much less hassle than changing freehubs. Choose the spec to suit your pocket just as you would with Shimano. Chorus are pretty decent - and the Utegra equivalent quality-wise.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • drlodge
    A freehub will be cheaper than a Chorus cassette, Shimano cassette likely will be cheaper. But if the OP already has the cassette then a freehub may be the cheaper option.
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Christ! just seen the price of the 11 speed campag cassette :shock:

So it may be easier, but it might not be cheaper...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Get an Ambrosio converted cassette.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/39141236 ... pla&crdt=0
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • huskie69
    Well, I had thought the campag 11 speed cassette would be a cheaper alternative but yes - the price is a bit steep (I'm not campag flush!) so I chucked a few notes at a new novatec shimano freehub and ultegra 11spd cassette - came to £60 for both. I would have maybe gone down the ambrosio conversion but I couldn't figure out what I wanted. I'm sure I needed campag splined / shimano indexed but I couldn't find that option.

Anyway, I think I'm good now. Just need to figure out how to swap the freehubs over without making a complete mess of it. Thanks for the advice.
    Sensa SL Aquila Di2
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    huskie69 wrote:
    Well, I had thought the campag 11 speed cassette would be a cheaper alternative but yes - the price is a bit steep (I'm not campag flush!) so I chucked a few notes at a new novatec shimano freehub and ultegra 11spd cassette - came to £60 for both. I would have maybe gone down the ambrosio conversion but I couldn't figure out what I wanted. I'm sure I needed campag splined / shimano indexed but I couldn't find that option.

Anyway, I think I'm good now. Just need to figure out how to swap the freehubs over without making a complete mess of it. Thanks for the advice.

This video shows the reverse of what you want to do ie swapping a Shimano freehub for a Campy on a Novatec 482SB-SL. If you can work out from this what the reverse procedure is it should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUpXfwjaWI
  • huskie69
    arlowood wrote:
    This video shows the reverse of what you want to do ie swapping a Shimano freehub for a Campy on a Novatec 482SB-SL. If you can work out from this what the reverse procedure is it should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUpXfwjaWI

Fantastic, thanks for this.
    Sensa SL Aquila Di2