Tyres

Scavcavill
Scavcavill Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
I've just turned 50 and would like to get fit and loose a bit of weight so I went to Halfords and bought myself a VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain Bike, took it to Sherwood Pines and two miles into the blue route I got a front tyre puncture, thank god for quick release wheels, I don't really want to be getting any more punctures so I was wondering if I could go tubeless with the tyres that came with the bike or do I need different tyres instead, the tyres on the my bike are 27.5 x 2.25 Maxxis Ardent.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they folding bead tyres or rigid steel bead, if they are steel then no, you won't be going tubeless with them.

What was the cause of the puncture? If it was 'snakebite' punctures then more air will stop it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry I don't know what folding bead tyres or rigid steel bead is, I'm really new to mountain biking, the puncture I got was because of a drawing pin.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just bad luck - not much will save you from drawing pins.

Folding tyres have Kevlar beads, non folding have steel beads. I doubt OEM tyres will be folding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A folding bead tyre can literally be folded when off the bike, a steel bead cant and will stay totally round when off the bike.

Chnaces of it being folding (Kevlar) bead are slim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    For drawing pins, thorns and other causes of punctures in the thin/round/pointy category, liquid sealant in the inner tubes works quite well. For my son's bike I've used Slime sealant and it's worked at least three times, going by the bright green dots on the tyre.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have suffered a lot of penetrating punctures from thorns and flint where I ride. I now run on Schwalbe Smart Sam Pluses, which include their "Greenguard" puncture resistance. So far, so good...
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere