cannondale supersix headset bearings

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Took my headset bearings out of my Cannondale 2013 supersix today to clean and regrease them, the bottom bearing just came apart it was a cage with ball bearings in, so i got my replacement bearings out, and the bottom bearing is a cartridge bearing so it wont fit inside the frame as i have integrated bearings although the top of my frame has a cartridge bearing fitted, can you still buy the bottom bearing cage, or will i have to get the crown race off the forks and get the cup out of the bottom of my frame?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What?
  • when the bike was made it has a crown race fitted to the carbon forks and the bottom bearing which is fitted in the frame is a cage bearing not a cartridge bearing as the top of the frame has, but now when the bottom bearing needs replacing they replace it with a cartridge bearing, which will not fit to the bottom of the forks unless the crown race is removed so i need the old bearing so i dont have to remove the crown race and the rest of the bottom bearing whats left in the bottom of the frame.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Are you sure the bottom bearing is a cage bearing ? and is not a cartridge bearing that has separated from its cartridge ?
  • yes its a cage bearing with a retainer and the ball bearings are dropping out
  • i had the same issue. basically its a cartridge bearing that has come apart leaving the bearings exposed. i ended up using a flat head screwdriver and loads of wd40 to release the bearing inner from the fork. sigma sport has the full headset and bearing assembly.
  • it cant be a cartridge bearing because there is no middle anywhere and a cartridge bearing wont fit over the crown race on the forks
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cage lower bearing is not unusual, I have the same set up on one of my bikes. But I still don't understand what your issue is. Unless the bearings actually need replacing, then just re-fit them and move on with your life.