Cannondale Synapse Tiagra v 105

IamPlod
IamPlod Posts: 23
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Hi I'm relatively new to road cycling having had a mountain bike for the last five years. I am looking to buy a new road bike on the cycle to work scheme and and it's a choice between the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra or the 105.
There is about £130 between the two. Am I likely to notice much difference between these two bikes? I'm considering the Tiagra at the moment as I'll be able to buy more gear to use.

Comments

• On the pure practicle terms the 105 is 11 speed and the new Tiagra is 10 speed.

Street price difference between the 2 groups sets is not much (about £50-£80) from what I can see.

The 105 is very well regraded, and perceived and the lower of Shimano's top end groupsets, whilst Tiagra is the top tier of their more affordable groupsets.

Looking at the specs on the Evans website (and assuming you are looking at the disc brake version), there is even less difference as both bikes use the same brakeset.

I would advise that you try and find local shops that have both in and test ride them.

My gut feel based on specs and price alone would be to go with the Tiagra setup. You can allways upgrade the other bits later if you feel the need.
  • IamPlod
    IamPlod Posts: 23
    Thanks for your advice, I'm going to hopefully road test both bikes later this week and see which suits me best. Leaning towards the 105 at the moment but I guess without a test ride I won't know,
    Cheers,
    Mike
  • Problem is that the 10 speed Tiagra isn't upgradable to 11 speed 105. Whereas if you got the 105 you can bit by bit upgrade to Dura Ace if you wanted. 105 is generally regarded as where the Shimano groupsets get good - so I would go with that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's the new 4700 Tiagra it benefits from improvements trickled down from the dearer 11 speed groupsets, especially better front shifting. And remember, Tiagra isn't at the bottom of the Shimano road groupset hierarchy, it's about bang in the middle. You have Sora, Claris and 2300 below it, and 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace above.

I wouldn't worry too much about future 'upgrades' at the moment. Tiagra will last for years if you look after it.

On the other hand, if you like / want / can afford the 105 equipped bike, go for it!
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    I've got the 16 Synapse (the alloy one) Tiagra, had 105 in the past. The two things I would add are that the shifting is very good on the Tiagra, I was surprised really and 2; the hoods have been changed and are much more comfortable. I would save the extra and put it towards a wheel upgrade.
  • I have ridden Sora , old 105 , new 105 and ten speed ultegra plus had a go on the wifes tiagra

I would personally go with the new 105 meself, out of the above it is the best I have used. Brilliant groupset for the price if you ask me.
  • Ben1980
    Ben1980 Posts: 21
    If it's 4700 Tiagra I'm sure they use an 11 speed hub with a spacer to fit 10 speed so can be upgraded to an 11 speed groupset without buying a wheelset, anyway I've owned an alloy Defy with 105 and recently bought a carbon Defy with Tiagra and the biggest difference is the Tiagra rear mech which is not as good noticeable the jockey wheels which are super noisy and don't shift as clean/crisp as 105 but I'm hoping some nice new ceramic BBB's will sort it, the rest feel the same once I got it all dialled in.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Something to consider is the cost of replacing the parts due to wear and tear. If you are going to and from work in all weather and only have a chance to clean your bike at weekends you'll find your chain and rear cogs will wear fairly quickly. Tiagra stuff is cheaper than 105. I've had t spend £60 on a replacement chain from the LBS because I'd let the existing one get so bad, and that one (it was gold) was all he had in stock.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    edited August 2016
    I'd go with the 105 simply due to it being 11 speed and easier to upgrade when parts wear out.
    I've been looking at getting a new groupset and if you bear with me:

UK online prices found 10/08/16.

Tiagra 4700:

£15 Front Mech
    £28 Rear Mech
    £17 Cassette
    £14 Chain
    £123 Shifters
    £40 Brakes
    £11 BB
    £58 Cranks

Total: £306 individual, £230 Groupset from Wiggle (No BB included)

105 5800: (prices in red are updates due to double checking that they were 5800 and not 5700)

£15 £18 Front Mech
    £22 £28 Rear Mech
    £23 Cassette
    £20 £15 Chain
    £100 Shifters
    £48 Brakes
    £9 £11 Same as the ultegra one BB
    £74 Cranks

Total: £311 £317 individual, £285 Groupset from Wiggle (again no BB)

Ultegra 6800:

£21 Front Mech
    £43 Rear Mech
    £40 Cassette
    £28 Chain
    £165 Shifters
    £68 Brakes
    £12 BB
    £125 Cranks

Total £481 individual, £465 Groupset from Probike kit

So from this if going for the one groupset then you'd buy a complete Groupset and not individual parts less the BBs for the Tiagra and 105.

Although i am looking at the following parts:

£15 Front Mech from 105
    £22 Rear Mech from 105
    £23 Cassette from 105
    £74 Cranks from 105
    £100 Shifters from 105
    £68 Brakes from Ultegra
    £24 BB From Dura-Ace
    £30 Chain from Dura-Ace

Total £356 so its slightly better to buy the parts individually rather than buy the 105 groupset from wiggle and sell the chain and brakes (that is if anyone wants them)

P.S if you want the weights i've got them as well :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the 105 components you list are actually 5700 as you state, that's the older 10 speed groupset.

5800 is the 11 speed equivalent. Groupset widely available for under £300 inc BB
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    keef66 wrote:
    If the 105 components you list are actually 5700 as you state, that's the older 10 speed groupset.

5800 is the 11 speed equivalent. Groupset widely available for under £300 inc BB

Yeah typo. My bad....

Wait i'm off to double check :D:(
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    I've had the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra (disc 2016 version) for almost a year now. Has been good and the new tiagra is very nice. Certainly no worse than my previous bike with 105. I had the same decision as the OP, and given that there was no other difference between the two bikes spec, i went for the cheaper tiarga option.