Reynolds Strike Wheels - pic added

smithy05
smithy05 Posts: 114
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone

Does anyone have any experience of Reynolds Strike 66mm Carbon clinchers?

I have had a look on google and can't see many reviews on them. They are for sale on the Canyon website at the moment for £585 which seems like a bargain.

Link to the wheels here: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessorie ... 1&id=60281

Comments

• smithy05
    No one have any experience of these wheels?
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Reynolds are regarded as one of the best manufacturers of aero wheels, just be aware those are the 2013 version though so not as good as it seems at face value.

Not to detract from the wheels which are sure are very good, they've just been sat around somewhere for 4 years.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    The current strikes aren't quite as deep but are tubeless ready, 25mm at the brake track and 17mm internal diameter. I was looking these up and they re a much older design i can't quite remember but i think it was < 15mm internal and < 21mm external.

It is a very low price for a good name in aero wheels but around black friday or christmas time last year the current strikes could be had for £900
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For just a bit more, you can get the 50mm carbon tubeless BORG50s from The Cycle Clinic, the ones I just bought. Toroidal profile and tubeless ready. They don't have the Reynolds pedigree, but I know which I'd rather have.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • smithy05
    Matt_N wrote:
    Reynolds are regarded as one of the best manufacturers of aero wheels, just be aware those are the 2013 version though so not as good as it seems at face value.

Not to detract from the wheels which are sure are very good, they've just been sat around somewhere for 4 years.

Good to hear - do you think it's likely to be an issue if they have sat around that long?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    smithy05 wrote:
    Matt_N wrote:

Good to hear - do you think it's likely to be an issue if they have sat around that long?

Low price is not due to age, but obsolete design of old version
  • smithy05
    mamil314 wrote:
    smithy05 wrote:
    Matt_N wrote:

Low price is not due to age, but obsolete design of old version

The thing is I don't want to spend much more than £600 on wheels. I really liked a set of wheelsmith aero clinchers, but these are £900. So for £600, my thinking is I probably won't get much better?
  • That add on the website is half Reynolds half Mavic. It's a bit confused...
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Try having a look at mantel they have their own carbon clinchers 50mm. They won't have the same research as reynolds into them but at least they re a more up to date design
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Reynolds are a household name in wheels.

Before Edco used to make their own rims, Reynold's used to make some of them going back a few years and many other wheel 'brands' call up Reynolds for white label products.

They may be a few years old, but for the price, I'd say they're a good purchase.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    That add on the website is half Reynolds half Mavic. It's a bit confused...

it is indeed...

It's a very good price... I don't think wheels which are 3 years old can be defined as obsolete... we are not talking smartphones here...
    left the forum March 2023
  • smithy05
    I've decided to take the plunge and ordered them. Couldn't resist at that price. Only reservation was whether they will be too deep, but at that price didn't feel like I could miss out on them
  • smithy05
    image_zpscn0petkf.jpeg

The wheels have now arrived, very happy with the way they look
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Looks sweet, how are you finding them in the wind?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    "very happy with the way they look" -- nuff said.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    They look great. Shame there's no more left, I guess!
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    smithy05 wrote:
    image_zpscn0petkf.jpeg

They look really nice mate, good choice.

I am however confused by the description, are they clinchers or tubs? It seems to mention both :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • smithy05
    These are the clincher versions.

I've only had chance to do a short 20km ride one night after work this week, and they seemed fine although it wasn't particularly windy. They definitely are stiffer than my last wheels and hold their speed better once I get up to 30-35kmh.

Will give them a proper run out tomorrow hopefully.
  • I'd buy a pair.................If my surname was Reynolds :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think you got a bargain there... normally at that price point you only buy "fit and pray" Chinese rims... Reynolds should give you a bit more confidence they won't murder you on a steep descent
  • daniel_b
    I think you got a bargain there... normally at that price point you only buy "fit and pray" Chinese rims... Reynolds should give you a bit more confidence they won't murder you on a steep descent

I concur completely - I was very tempted, but luckily they are out of stock - the tubs are on sale for £513 though, which is still a stonking bargain I would wager.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    Daniel B wrote:

I concur completely - I was very tempted, but luckily they are out of stock - the tubs are on sale for £513 though, which is still a stonking bargain I would wager.

They are, but for tubulars there is less need to go "branded", as the overheating issues are negligible and a Chinese rim would probably do the same job as a Reynolds
  • daniel_b
    That is good to know, thanks for the info Ugo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • smithy05 wrote:
    image_zpscn0petkf.jpeg

Huh, I have a similar looking pair of hoops. These aren't the stock decals either, did you apply those yourself?
    1889388_1460105227599474_2012620018_n.jpg
    10617025_755625027831169_1888210570_n.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'd buy a pair.................If my surname was Reynolds :D

You could get some decals made up with 'potatoes' on them. Nobody else would have a pair like that...
  • daniel_b
    Imposter wrote:

You could get some decals made up with 'potatoes' on them. Nobody else would have a pair like that...

Or "Maris Piper"
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Imposter wrote:

:D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul