Anyone have a pic of the 6800 crank (non drive side) arm?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

Fitted my Ultegra 6800 crankset a while back & all was well.

Then one day riding back from work the left (non drive) side came off whilst still attached to my foot :lol:

Thought I had fitted it properly first time round but I guess not. Now looking to refit but I want to make sure I haven't damaged the arm so does any have a pic as I want to see if the splines on the arm extend all the way to the inside edge of the arm or not? I suspect not but want to check in case I've managed to 'round' mine off?

This is mine as is:

412704754.jpg

412704755.jpg

Thanks, Russ

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That's normal.

If anything you could have damaged the grooves on the axle but I've done the same thing and it survived - just a bit of road rash from putting my foot down with the crank attached!
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • russboy
    Cool, thanks.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If the crank arm came off while you were riding then you've probably also lost the plastic insert used to pre-load the bearings before you tighten up the crank fixing bolts

You'll have to source one of those to make sure the re-assembly is conducted properly

2013-Dura-Ace-9000-crankset-photos06.jpg

This video explains the process if you are not already familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BP3-XGWWqc
  • russboy
    arlowood wrote:
    If the crank arm came off while you were riding then you've probably also lost the plastic insert used to pre-load the bearings before you tighten up the crank fixing bolts

You'll have to source one of those to make sure the re-assembly is conducted properly

2013-Dura-Ace-9000-crankset-photos06.jpg

This video explains the process if you are not already familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BP3-XGWWqc

Yeah, this snapped & it's a lot longer than the one on my other bike with 105 on it, already got an Ultegra replacement sitting in my kitchen at the mo, hopefully that'll be the only cost involved.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That looks just the same as my Tiagra, 105 and CX NDS cranks, so you appear to have done no damage.

I'm thinking it can't have been properly installed to start with; either the spindle not pushed fully home through the BB, the NDS arm not fully home on the splines, or the pinch bolts not evenly / adequately tightened. Or a combination of these.

Don't overcompensate when reinstalling it though; if you do up the plastic preload cap more than finger tight you'll overload the bearings and they'll wear prematurely.