Problem with dropper post on new bike

dogboy73
dogboy73 Posts: 440
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently bought a Norco torrent 7.1 which came with a Tranz X dropper post & remote. I've not been out for a proper ride yet. Just a quick blast locally. I didn't notice in the shop but the dropper post doesn't seem to work very well.

Fully compressed when I press the release lever the post starts to extend, then slows right down & then, sometimes, other times it takes a few presses of the lever, the post fully extends. I've also noticed that when full extended there is a fair bit of play in the seat post. I've emailed the shop. Awaiting a reply but I'll phone over the weekend if I don't hear back soon.

Very disappointing since it's brand new. Just hoping the shop can fix or replace it without any hassle. Or I was wondering if the newness explains the issues with the post extending or if the play in the post is normal with these things? (first dropper I've ever used).

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    If it's brand new then they will fix or replace it.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    JGTR wrote:
    If it's brand new then they will fix or replace it.

Just heard back from the shop. They advised me to bring it in. Just got to find the time now. Hopefully they can fix or replace.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure the seat post clamp isn't too tight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Make sure the seat post clamp isn't too tight.

Same advice - my integrated seat clamp was very slightly too tight and the dropper had the same issue as yours. I loosened it off and boom - worked perfectly since :)