Low Budget TT bike question.

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
So, over the last wee while, I've tried a few 10 mile TTs. I'm sitting in the low 25's/high 24's doing it on my Supersix with road bars. At this point, I'm considering buying/setting up a dedicated TT bike. For my normal course, a single gear does not present a problem.

As it stands, I have a Synapse Alloy and a CAAD10 beyond my Six. Would I be better of converting one of those, or buying a fixed gear track bike frame? Wheels aside, it'll boil down to the same money or near enough.

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    You'll be quicker with a proper TT bike than either of those bikes being converted. If you go the whole hog and get TT bars, shifters, brakes, upright seatpost you'll be able to get close, but it will probably never be quite the right geometry, so why compromise. If you're buying those bits new it can end up being quite expensive too.
    If I were you I'd just scour the time trialling forum for a second hand bike for sale in your size. Something like a PX Stealth should be fairly cheap. You'll be likely to get better choice in a couple of months at the end of the season as people upgrade.
    By the way those are pretty good times for a road bike. I find my TT bike saves me more than 2 minutes over 10 vs my road bike, which would put you in a pretty good place if you get the same improvement.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Go fixed. Dolan Pre Cursa and aero bars will do the job nicely.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg