Powermeter for Campagnolo Drivetrain

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Two choices for a Campagnolo drivetrain.

Power2max S Type 4 arm or Rotor 2inpower I've discounted all others.

I can also the rotor with Q rings for around £1000 with the power2max for the same is about £1600.

Has anyone used a 2inpower as reviews are not forth coming?
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Did your "all the others" include the Favero?
    Mine works nicely with my Campag groupsets.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    stages.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Power2max were doing a deal for Rotor 3D30 crankset with a type 2 S powermeter, free Rotor tool, cover, chainring bolts and free rings for much less than the £1600 at £759.

https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Prod ... 3d30-road/

It'd work with your Campagnolo set up.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rjgr
    rjgr Posts: 52
    Just my thoughts. I mulled over this problem for a year, hoping that Stages would deliver a Campag branded solution (and at the same time fix their much reported battery eating problem). I discounted a new non-Campag crankset because I couldn't rationalise a 'downgrade' from a Super Record on an otherwise all Italian bike. In the end I gave up waiting and went with the Powertap pedals. A tiny bit heavy and force you to use 'Look style' cleats, but if you can cope with those limitations its proved a perfect solution to riding with power and the benefit of being able to switch to other bikes in 2 minutes with a single hex spanner.
  • cal_stewart
    cheers for the replys,

I'm a speedplay user and I'm not willing to change, Its a shame really i'd kill for speedplay vectors.

I'd love to keep a full campagnolo drivetrain but the cost is just to great.

Cheers for the Power2max deal, that changes things.

The joys of being a Campagnolo user.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • cheers for the replys,

I'm a speedplay user and I'm not willing to change, Its a shame really i'd kill for speedplay vectors.

Should that not be the joys of being a Speedplay user?
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I use InPower

It's a doddle to set up and calibrate. Battery is easy to change, and is consistent. If you run Q rings it's calibrated with these to allow for the oval rings and the various power surges on the pedal stroke.

I'm really happy with mine.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I run a quarq elsa, SRAm RED cranks and rings. Looks ok with the chorus 2015 gruppo.
    Insert bike here:
  • PTestTeam
    BTW I'm a Campag man as well. The set up looks good
  • cal_stewart
    cheers for the replys,

That as well.
    PTestTeam wrote:
    I use InPower

It's a doddle to set up and calibrate. Battery is easy to change, and is consistent. If you run Q rings it's calibrated with these to allow for the oval rings and the various power surges on the pedal stroke.

This is why I'm finding it hard to look pass the 2inpower its a true double leg meter as well.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • StillGoing
    P2M is 2 leg and works with Q rings without issue. P2M is also instantly calibrated. But 2 leg is not a real necessity as most people are one leg biased. All a genuine 2 leg reading shows is how far the difference is. You can train to try and even it out a bit, but does it really achieve anything? I tend to think it isn't worth it.
  • PTestTeam
    cheers for the replys,

That as well.
    PTestTeam wrote:
    I use InPower

This is why I'm finding it hard to look pass the 2inpower its a true double leg meter as well.

My InPower is the left leg version. As per the other poster, do you need to spend the extra to take readings from both legs? I suppose it would be nice to know if there are big discrepencies, but I use it to measure my output, work out my FTP, work to the zones and see if I'm improving.
  • cal_stewart
    I'm happy with my L/R balance and have access to a Wattbike if I need to test it. I'm pretty much 50/50.

This is the big thing with marketing does a non pro really need both leg readings?
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • StillGoing
    I'm happy with my L/R balance and have access to a Wattbike if I need to test it. I'm pretty much 50/50.

This is the big thing with marketing does a non pro really need both leg readings?

Pro riders don't either as Sky have been happy using Stages for years now.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    philthy3 wrote:

With some reports stating that some riders tend to use other power meters, just because they use it while racing doesn't mean they use it on training...
    *I can't remember where,but I've seen on some web pages.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

L/R balance isn't a constant. It'll vary with fatigue, effort level, cadence, etc. so testing on a Watt bike will tell you nothing about your L/R balance in the real world.

You only need both leg readings if you want reliable, repeatable power measurement. If you're happy with a guesstimate that could be out by several percent (on top of the +/-2% 'internal' errors) then sure, buy a single sided power meter.

I'm happy with a P2max that's barely more expensive than a Stages and significantly more reliable (both in measured power and in terms of being usable in the rain).
    More problems but still living....
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

With some reports stating that some riders tend to use other power meters, just because they use it while racing doesn't mean they use it on training...
    *I can't remember where,but I've seen on some web pages.

If you read the context of the subject, it's about having access to each legs readings all the time. Nobody needs it.
  • cal_stewart
    amaferanga wrote:

L/R balance isn't a constant. It'll vary with fatigue, effort level, cadence, etc. so testing on a Watt bike will tell you nothing about your L/R balance in the real world.

You only need both leg readings if you want reliable, repeatable power measurement. If you're happy with a guesstimate that could be out by several percent (on top of the +/-2% 'internal' errors) then sure, buy a single sided power meter.

I'm happy with a P2max that's barely more expensive than a Stages and significantly more reliable (both in measured power and in terms of being usable in the rain).

You do know Power2max isn't a true double leg meter?
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240

You do know Power2max isn't a true double leg meter?

It's double leg insofar as it measures the actual power around the entire stroke and then takes the L/R balance from where the left and right cranks are in the stroke.

As opposed to Stages for example which takes the left leg power and doubles it, assuming both legs produce the same power.
  • cal_stewart
    Don't want to get into a debate. This is the advantage with the rotor as it does measure both sides. Stages as you say just doubles the single leg power. Power2max just takes the whole value from the spider so is a true value but in no way does it have a true L/R balance capability. This is why Power2max is most likely being in the new powermeter seen being tested by Bora at the Tour.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • StillGoing
    Don't want to get into a debate. This is the advantage with the rotor as it does measure both sides. Stages as you say just doubles the single leg power. Power2max just takes the whole value from the spider so is a true value but in no way does it have a true L/R balance capability. This is why Power2max is most likely being in the new powermeter seen being tested by Bora at the Tour.

The variance between the true L/R balance reading and the P2M reading is going to be so negligible to make no difference. If perfectly measured L/R balance is that important to you, the Rotor isn't going to cut it either. As has already been said, do you really need an absolute reading for L/R balance? Most ride with 3s or 10s power readings as their info rather than concentrating on what the L or R leg is doing. The P2M is capable of assisting riders with strengthening their weaker leg if they so wish because of how it measures and calculates each legs power. Personally I couldn't care less about the difference as long as it's in the realms of 46/54. Incidentally, as a right footer, the left leg as the standing leg should be the bigger thigh muscle and presumably the more powerful. In my case it isn't with my readings showing the R leg being the stronger. We ride how we get our best results is all that matters.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The Campag power2max is also on sale at the moment...

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produ ... l-offer-2/

€1,279 with rings and installation tool... which equates to about £1,279 nowadays. Tempted to get one myself for my new build to be honest!
  • cal_stewart
    had discounted the 5 bolts campagnolo, then I slapped myself as the arms the same just a different spider and as I'm probably going to swap to fibre-lyte rings it makes no difference.

However the Rotor 3D30 deal is mental as you can get the ceramic bsa bb in with the deal. Waiting on a reply ref Mwst free as I'm currently outside the EU which would put the Rotor @ £650 and Campagnolo @ £1000 if they will do it.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • StillGoing

However the Rotor 3D30 deal is mental as you can get the ceramic bsa bb in with the deal.

It is a good deal and if I hadn't already got a 3D24 crankset with a Type S P2M, I'd have gone for the deal myself.