Square taped crank stuck

supers
supers Posts: 33
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I removed my crank arms and BB quite easily last weekend. I replaced the BB and put the crank arms back on, however I then realised my UN55 BB was too short. I have then been trying to remove the cranks to get the BB out.

The drive side crank came off with a pull but the other side won't budge. I have the removal tool in as far as it will go and have given it some real wellie, to the point where I've gone over the bike and been sprawled across my garage. I've tried tapping it and levering it out, but it's still on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345
    Angle grinder?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • supers
    Pinno wrote:
    Angle grinder?

Please explain?
  • its a little of a horse & stable door left open type comment possibly

but did you use any grease when refitting the cranks to the bottom bracket ? ( OK about a week should not make a proper stuck on cos of corrosion type deal ) but it could have also possibly aided in the current removal if you had.

if you did please tell me to butt out & move along as i cant be much help otherwise.

but on saying that ( i dont know if its just the one bike i have worked on that had it or if other types also have it ) you did make sure there was NO small metal washer left in the crank when you had removed the bolt & fitted the extractor tool ??

one of the bikes i have that i have took off its cranks to give em a clean as i had let my cleaning slide on it so it was proper manky i had trouble removing one side & while removing the tools as i had pretty much accepted i had been defeated that day i found a tiny washer in the crank arm stopping ( rather effectively ) the extractor tool head from doing its thing, removed the offending washer & refitted extrator & mr stubborn crank then came off like a charm
  • SuperS wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Angle grinder?

Please explain?

i think he means cut the stuck crank off with the grinder - drastic / expensive BUT very effective :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345
    Innotec - very good de-blocker. It's the trade equivalent of WD40 but far better. Is the axle slightly offset in the crank arm? i.e can you hold the other end and rotate the arm slightly? This can happen as the crank arm is presumably alu and soft.

Maybe you need one of these;

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... GwodHqwL8A
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you removed the little magnetic cup first that is meant for splined BBs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supers
    All sorted now, decided to unscrew the crank remover and the crank slid off. Just happened differently from last time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the crank is coming off that easy, it wasn't on tight enough to start with!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.