six week service

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
when you get a new bike from a shop what is usually done in the first 6 week service?
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not a lot.
    Check fastenings are still tight, re-tension cables/index gears and maybe check spoke tension.

It's just a bike. There isn't much to check.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • look at & correct any other minor niggles a customer mentions too i would assume.

one of my bikes when it went in for its 6 week service they asked if there were any other things i was concerned about after they had checked the gears ran smooth & the wheels spun free & true - so i reeled em off & they went through checking & adjusting/repairing them ( brakes crap & rubbing alot - BB5's, they can sometimes need a jedi master to get em working nice lol - bottom bracket starting to get noisy, typical dry PF30's - handlebar position painful - they flipped the stem for me as i was more used to MTB that road - pointed out a cable routing issue round the fork & they dismantled the bike & fixed that too )

asked me what ( if any ) my preferred tyre pressures were & made sure the tyres were still at those pressures is another check i have had occasionally ( mainly when the 6 week service has been errrrm, MUCH later - nearly 4 months later infact :D - they knew me & knew the bike had little use in the 1st few weeks so were fine with it )
  • also seen ( when i have been instore having a natter with the folks behind the counter @ my local bike store ) them giving the chain a quick clean up & lube too & advising the customer of a few simple maintenance jobs that would help keep the bike going for longer

it may all depend on what store & even how busy they are at the time or which member of staff you get too ( very busy = less time taken on the free check so just the essentials, not busy then they may take more time & do more than just the basic checks - newbie staff or oik who cares not a jot then good luck, knowledgable & enthusiastic person then well above par service normally is the result. )