KMC quick link

milleman
milleman Posts: 181
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I have been using these on my bikes for a few years and love them, just makes removing the chain so easy.

My query is will an 11 speed link work on 9 or 10 speed chains?, just used one this morning to rescue a damsel in distress with a snapped chain and want to replace it. Just wondering if I should get an 11 and a 9/10 speed link to carry with me in my saddle pack.

Thanks.

Comments

• milleman wrote:
    I have been using these on my bikes for a few years and love them, just makes removing the chain so easy.

My query is will an 11 speed link work on 9 or 10 speed chains?, just used one this morning to rescue a damsel in distress with a snapped chain and want to replace it. Just wondering if I should get an 11 and a 9/10 speed link to carry with me in my saddle pack.

Thanks.

I've never attempted it but imagine you would run into problems as the chain is wider on 9 and 10 speed. There are links for each speed, I've never seen link that does 9 and 10 speed?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    milleman wrote:
    My query is will an 11 speed link work on 9 or 10 speed chains?

Nope. 9 is wider than 10 which is wider than 11. The 11sp link isn't wide enough to connect on a 9 or 10 speed chain.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Of course if it's a ploy to pick up women cyclists why not splash out on one of each, it's hardly a space issue is it?
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Most of my bikes run 11 speed, one runs 9 speed which was handy as that's the spare quick link I was carrying and the bike that had the broken chain this morning happened to be 9 speed.

I was asking the question as I will be replacing the link and just wondering if I could avoid carrying a 9 and 10 speed link if the 11 speed link I will be getting would do to get people on their way.

Space/cost not an issue as you say, happy to help a fellow cyclist if I can.