First bike and first ride today

alexbg
alexbg Posts: 19
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
Bought a friends mountain bike yesterday, lovely trek, really light and he says has everything I will ever need on it, he's really into his bikes but is concentrating on road biking for now, has a custom built planet x bike which is nuts.

He set everything up for me, I had watched every video going but he wanted to do it and spoke about how he rides compared to what I've watched. Took the bike apart to get in my little Audi a3 boot, luckily both wheels come off, I went to two bike shops, one they didn't even acknowledge me so I left, the next one (which my friend recommended) helped me instantly when i walked in. Nice lady there, it's called the Bike Cellar in Plymouth, she fitted the helmet I liked to perfection, I chose a black one that looked OK, then I said I needed some bar grips as the ones on the bike spin and she said to use some hair spray, lost a sale there but I will go back. Hair sprayed the grips after a clean and they stuck perfectly.

Drove to the woods with a small ruck sack with food, water and my camera and went to Cann woods. Took me 10 embarrassing minutes to get the back wheel on the bike, practice at home needed! The stayed on the gravel track for a bit to get used to it. The riding position is very aggressive compared to my bikes when I was younger, felt weird at first, plus in top (bottom?) gear the bike is slower than I expected even when I peddle flat out so makes it a bit more leisurely.

Then I saw a small trail through the woods so thought I would have a go. It was very slightly down hill and the bike just wanted to fly down it, I was constantly on the brakes and nearly came off when the back wheel slid out. Was great fun but I definitely have a lot to learn and need a lot of practice. Stopped for a bit because my legs were tired, think I went too fast too soon, had only been riding for 20 minutes. Then did a bit more gravel and one small trail. It was great fun and I was getting a bit more confident. I noticed the front shock lock out wasn't working so tightened that up and the shock rubber band thing to see how low they were going wasn't going as far as the videos suggested so I tried to let some air out of the shock. Turns out there is oil in the shock and now on my face and t-shirt! Learnt my lesson the hard way there.

Then went home. Takes ages to take the bike apart, put it in the boot, drive home, take it out, build it back up again, only 5 minutes on the back wheel this time, then clean it, put the kids seats in the back of the car again and then cleaned myself up.

So learnings from ride one.

Brake levers stick out too far for me but I like using two fingers for confidence so need them closer to the bar
My hands were also a bit uncomfortable - I think this is just from not being used to it.
Need a bike rack, it's such a pain taking the bike apart and moving the kids seats in and out of the car - any recommendations would be great. Just for one bike.
My bum hurts. Not from rubbing but from the small seat, I assume this will get better over time.
The back tyre skids as it gets filled with mud. I've heard the woods where I went it notoriously muddy and the back tyre is a good one so it's something I need to work on, the front tyre was fine. They both have 40psi in them.
Shocks are filled with oil!

Had great fun and the woods where I have walked the dog in the past and have seen a few bikers seem like a great place to learn being 10 minutes from my house.

28779274115_85a438608b.jpg28161948124_e107d828e2.jpg28747765716_22d1d7b298.jpg

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Good stuff, you'll get used to it.

40psi is ridiculously high for the tyre pressures though, you'll never get any grip with that unless you weigh as much as a medium sized elephant. Try dropping the pressure to 30 and experiment from there. Also, the tyre is decent, but is definitely more suited to dry trails than mud, it's not really surprising that it lost traction. Just gives you scope for some nice upgrades. ;)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Sounds like the bug has bitten.

Saddle probably just doesn't suit your sit-bones but don't think that it's because it's "tiny" - it'll just be the wrong shape. Experiment with a few off of Ebay or here - probably worth starting with a Charge Spoon/Madison Flux as that works for 80% or so of arses!!

Tyre pressure has been discussed, get it lowered! I'm 98kg and only run 30psi front and rear.

Brake levers - move them inboard - a LOT. It's a one allen bolt job and you should find that they sit far more comfortably for your reach. Most people seem to build their bikes with the levers up against the grip, complete rubbish, move them inboard so you're just using those two fingers.

Not sure quite what you've done to the fork (not shock!), can't see what spec fork it is to comment.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    I got donated a halfords bike rack, the type with all the straps. Once it's adjusted well to the car it's pretty stable but has left the odd light scratch on the car. Cheapest way, I prefer tow bar ones though.

Nothing wrong with stopping for a breather, you'll improve within a few rides.

Jave you got bike gloves. They do help the hand pain, especially as you'll probably be squeezing very tight to begin with.

Your back wheel may be slipping partially because you're holding the brake too much on the downhills. If it isn't too harrowing for you try to slow down on the approach and after, or if you must, only brake downhill when you are going straight. Could also be a weight balancing issue, if you don't have weight over the rear wheel it'll slide around. But that does look like a very soft ground.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good to hear, just get out there and enjoy it.

You can move the brake levers to where ever suits you on the bars and some have an adjustment to move the actual lever in a bit. For the first few rides the saddle is always a bit sore then it wears off and you will be fine. For longer rides proper bike shorts are very comfortable.

I weight about 100kg and have both tyres on my xc hard tail at 40psi, the bike grips and handles well for the long rides I enjoy doing. If you keep losing the backend it can be lack of tread on the tyres or just you need to practice more. If you look on line there are tyres available with more aggressive treads for better grip.
  • alexbg
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I managed to get a free bike rack today off a friend who I bought the bike off so that saved me loads of time and also money.

28192823144_750f97ef7e.jpg

Also lowered the seat a bit so I'm not leaning forward so much, was a lot better but my wrists are still bent back a lot when riding so may try a shorter stem.
    I set up the shocks as well, watched the how to videos but then let too much air out so the forks sagged completely! Very sensitive they are to even a tiny bit of air, bought a shock pump and now they are much better and the damping and rebound is in the middle and perfect for me. The seat hurt a bit today but I tried to stay off it more. Definitely something that will get better with practice. Back wheel was still sliding about so I'm going to drop the pressure a bit. I felt a lot more confident on the bike though. Went down a trail that was very steep and tough, had my bum right behind the seat to stop me tipping over and the brakes were squeaking for most of the way down it. I can't work out how to move the lever towards the bar, there are two screws but both seem really tight.
    Found this bit of the woods and had a great time flying down it. Cut my arm up on loads of branches so need to get a long sleeve top rather than a t-shirt.

28733446131_b9f872b94f.jpg
    Then had a rest, some food and rode back to the car.

28810493575_8868a1f875.jpg

Just brake levers to move more towards the handle bars, reduce tyre pressure on the back a bit and do more riding.
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    I have the same problem with the brake levers. I have short fingers so can't reach them easily. It's apparently possible but I've never done it, not sure if it requires taking out some of the brake fluid though which I really don't want to be playing with.

I'm not sure how wrist bend is anything to do with stem length. Surely you can set it up with the controls in a position that would give you a straight wrist. Stem length would be adjusted if you felt like you are reaching too far or feel to much on top of the bars. As your bars aren't flat you can make some adjustments by playing with the angle in them.
  • alexbg
    There are two small allen key screws inside of the brake levers that are both done up pretty tight. I'm not sure if it is one of them that I need to tighten/loosen to get the levers nearer the bars. My brakes say XO on them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Angle your brake levers down to take the pressure off your wrists.

Have a look HERE for guidance on setting up your brake levers.

You also may want to readjust your bike rack. The bike should hang from it, not lie on it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    alexbg wrote:
    Also lowered the seat a bit so I'm not leaning forward so much,
    Saddle height should be set for efficient pedalling, not to help your arms!

The Trek is quite a racy bike, so the bars are low mounted and this can take some getting used to, as pointed out I think the brakes are too level, this means you have to roll your wrists back to hold the bars and brake levers and this will always cause problems. My bike has similar saddle and bar heights and this photo shows you how I have my levers

1FB4F0A6-22F2-410B-8B3F-EE80D0EBEB54_zpsx35viv7r.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alexbg
    The Rookie wrote:
    alexbg wrote:
    Also lowered the seat a bit so I'm not leaning forward so much,
    Saddle height should be set for efficient pedalling, not to help your arms!

I tried this as I am trying to keep costs as low as possible and just ride lots. Think a shorter stem would be better.

As for my wrists, I mean my hands are bending back towards my forearms as I'm trying to sit up more during normal riding so my wrists go behind the bars. Brake lever level is fine so far, still can't get them nearer the bars though.

Think a shorter stem is something that would help everything, the one on it now looks very long compared to everyone else's but do understand that the bike is racy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think your brakes are too level regardless, your fingers extended over the lever should be roughly inline with your forearm, otherwise you are forced to roll your wrists back to be able to use the brakes, that will also make the lever feel too far from the bars as it happens.

As for trying to sit up more, that's classic for someone not used to riding, unless the bike is too big (long) for you its just you need to get used to riding it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Did you get on the main route at Cann? All the way to the bottom and winch back up?!?! Looks lush weather for it.
    I havent been up there for a while, been sticking to the Plym Ridge and Ridge Plus trails.

Hopefully i'll get a chance to head back up once i (finally!) get the C2W certificate through ready to pick up my Bossnut :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    alexbg wrote:
    As for my wrists, I mean my hands are bending back towards my forearms as I'm trying to sit up more during normal riding so my wrists go behind the bars. Brake lever level is fine so far, still can't get them nearer the bars though.

Did you read the guide I linked to?

The allen bolt closest to the pivot is used to adjust lever reach.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • alexbg
    The Rookie wrote:
    I think your brakes are too level regardless, your fingers extended over the lever should be roughly inline with your forearm, otherwise you are forced to roll your wrists back to be able to use the brakes, that will also make the lever feel too far from the bars as it happens.

As for trying to sit up more, that's classic for someone not used to riding, unless the bike is too big (long) for you its just you need to get used to riding it!

Yes they are definitely too level, went down a little trail last night and realised what everyone means now. If I have my whole hand on the grip I feel quite confident and happy but as soon as I need to brake I lose all confidence. Going to move them down in line with my arm like you say.
  • alexbg
    JBA wrote:
    alexbg wrote:

Did you read the guide I linked to?

The allen bolt closest to the pivot is used to adjust lever reach.

I did, there are two bolts, one I tightened up and it made the brake go on so it's not that one and the other I can't tighten any more and when I loosen it nothing happens.
  • alexbg
    Did you get on the main route at Cann? All the way to the bottom and winch back up?!?! Looks lush weather for it.
    I havent been up there for a while, been sticking to the Plym Ridge and Ridge Plus trails.

Hopefully i'll get a chance to head back up once i (finally!) get the C2W certificate through ready to pick up my Bossnut :)

I start at the car park on the dartmoor/Plympton side near Elfordleigh. I've not got right to the bottom yet where the proper trails are. Just trying to get the bike set up for me and get as much practice as possible. My fitness is also something I need to work on so I keep rolling down easy trails and then riding back to the start of them on the gravel path. I want to try the Plym Ridge and Ridge trails, need to find where they are first!
  • I park in Plym bridge car park, as I live near the airport side going round is a looooooong way! Nice short easy run to the kissing gate for Cann, and carry on over the first viaduct to get to the start of the Plym Ridge.

Have you got down as far as the red container/massive skip? From there you can do the Main Run down to the bottom or do Home Run which goes back down to Plym Woods. Although the hills are a bit of a killer it is 1 climb, 1 descent for both with Main Run having so many lines to choose you could spend a day doing them all and only repeat the same run a couple of times max.

Parking Plympton side, its easy enough to get to the start of the Ridge but would be a fair ride back to the car.
  • alexbg
    This was my last ride. You can see where I went up and down a trail. https://www.strava.com/activities/669309269

There are so many routes around where I go, I'm still exploring everywhere. Once I find my way round and get confident on the bike I'm going to stick to a few trails and try and get my speed and skill up.
  • Looks good, think thats mostly fireroads and hard pack though if I'm right. The main trails are mostly down on the left hand end of that route, you've probably gone past them without even realizing!
    Keep it up though some of the route is off to the side which is good. As a start its not a bad ride.

I'm waiting on a C2W certificate to get a Bossnut to really let rip up there as my hardtail isn't quite up to it, but if you fancy a meet up sometime for a blast send a PM and we'll arrange something.