Wheel recommendation for Boardman Hybrid Team

Sleeper Service
Sleeper Service Posts: 126
edited August 2016 in The workshop
I'm currently riding a Boardman Hybrid Team, which is essentially a flat bar road bike (I have arthritis in my fingers which makes drops out of the question), and am very happy with it. However, were I to upgrade it, the first thing to change would appear to be the wheelset, which is currently Mavic XM319s on generic QR hubs. I run Schwalbe One clinchers on these (28mm).

Would there be much point in changing them to lighter wheels? I'm losing weight and down to about 16% bodyfat at the moment but still have a bit to go, so it's not that pressing an issue.
Carrera Subway 2015
Boardman Hybrid Team 2014

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you want to achieve, is your route flat (weight has little effect) or hilly?

Something like Novatech hubs, 2.0/1.8/2.0 butted spokes and a moderately decent rim (circa 420-440g) will give you a wheelset at about 1600-1650g - I'd estimate that as costing you about £320, I would guess the stock Formula wheelset is about 2300 as the 26" version is about 2100g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, Rookie. I''m just trying to get my head around how much difference it would actually make. The key thing is to improve climbing, as I find downhill and flat quick enough.

I'm currently 93kg at 1.91m tall, and planning to get down to 90kg or thereabouts.
    Carrera Subway 2015
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'm a bit tight-fisted; can you not continue to use the wheels until the rims wear out, then upgrade? You can think of the extra weight as training...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    davis wrote:
    I'm a bit tight-fisted; can you not continue to use the wheels until the rims wear out, ...

how many years is that going to take ? .. I think the rims will probably out live the rider in this case especially seeing that bike has disc brakes.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I also commute on a team hybrid (2016) so would be interested in improving performance.

Currently weighing in at 12.5kg before I hang the pannier/s on it, thanks to the addition of a rack, mud guards, lights and 32c tyres .. reckon I am riding near 16kg home my the time its fully loaded
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    just get a set of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-revo-a ... -wheelset/ price matched to these at £160: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pro-lite- ... -wheelset/

The price match doesnt always work (sometimes they say it isnt exactly the same wheel, which is correct) but try a few times and it usually pays off.

awesome value - much lighter than the wheels that came with the bike, good, easily serviceable Novatec hubs. There is a whole thread that almost became devoted to them because so many people bought them: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13041962&hilit=prolite

Failing that, the Cosine disc wheels at Wiggle may be even better http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... d-wheelset but I dont know anyone who has them yet and not sure what hubs they use.

And the Prolite and Cosine wheels use cartridge bearings so no probems with cup & cone getting pitted. The Novatec hubs on the Prolites are really easy and cheap to find spare parts like freehubs etc and they come with conversion kit to switch to thru axle if you change bikes later.
  • Cheers. I've sent Wiggle a price match request. If I get it then I'll pull the trigger on the wheel set.

I take it standard Clarks rotors for brakes will fit as it's six bolt?

Also like the look of the Cosine wheels, so may get them if the price match fails.
    Carrera Subway 2015
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    fat daddy wrote:
    davis wrote:
    I'm a bit tight-fisted; can you not continue to use the wheels until the rims wear out, ...

how many years is that going to take ? .. I think the rims will probably out live the rider in this case especially seeing that bike has disc brakes.

Whoops. My mistake.

As you were.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Didn't get the price match, so going to buy the Cosines along with a couple of cheap disc rotors. I'll just transfer the cassette though.

Going to keep the Mavic rims shod with Marathon Plus for winter commuting though.
    Carrera Subway 2015
  • So I've had the Cosines on for about 100 miles now. Very happy, although it took about 15 miles to get used to the quicker responsiveness. Much quicker acceleration and hill climbing a lot more pleasant than before. Also at least half a kilo lighter than the stock Mavic wheelset.

I'll update after 500 miles or so, but very happy just now.
    Carrera Subway 2015
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Thanks for the update ..... That's good to hear