Bike fit for unusually tall people!

twiza
twiza Posts: 38
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
After suffering aches in most parts of my body I'm thinking of getting a professional bike fit undertaken to help guide me on what bike to buy and then set it up. I'm 6'7" and due to a genetic condition, have slightly disproportionate ratios to most normal people, so when I've been put in a manufacturers spread sheet in the past it has spat out a load of error messages!!

So I'm looking for a bike fit professional that can think slightly outside the box and consider my personal physiology, not just a prescribed set of ratios. Does anyone have any recommendations? Yorkshire area would be ideal but for the right person will travel

Comments

• Try www.fit2ride.cc
    Based on Yorks/Lancs border near Huddersfield.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    once you've got the dimensions, have you considered a custom frame?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 6ft7 and have a relatively long body. I ride a 61" specialized Diverge with the stem flipped upright as it gives me exactly the riding position I am after. It is fast enough on road and handles smoother off road very well.

Some bigger bike shops have a guru fit machine will exactly copy different sized bikes and components. If you have one nearby it is worth trying to see what actually fits and feels right. I found the 64" frame too stretched out so chose the smaller 61" frame which was exactly what I was after. That way you buy a bike that is about right for you and you can fine tune it to fit.

http://www.gurucycling.com/the-experience/
  • twiza
    twiza Posts: 38
    Thank for the ideas. I certainly want to have some advice before I order so that I can get the right size, or consider a custom.

When I bought my current road bike the shop plugged my dimensions into the spread sheet and it just said error! Ended up with a 64cm frame with 130mm stem. As with Kajjal I found it a bit too much and put pressure on my back/shoulders, been a lot better since I put a 110mm stem on. Maybe less of an aero position but more comfort.