Cube Aim Pro, Voodoo Hoodoo or other?

apocc
apocc Posts: 12
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys!

My apologies for asking the same old question but after looking everywhere I cant work out which is better between the 2! Im now mid 30s, dont get much excersise as I sit behind a desk and need to lose a few pounds! I will start out on the roads until I have a decent fitness level and then intend to hit the local hills and trails. Ive decided I want an mtb over a hybrid!

The Voodoo is currently £400

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10151

And the cube is £429

http://www.skinnergate.co.uk/bikes-c1/m ... 016-p29906

Or should I be looking at a different model?

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Voodoo is as good as the Cube is bad - the Cube having some low rent parts for the money such as the extremely heavy and clunky fork, flimsy cranks and bargain bucket rear derailer. The fork will ruin what the bike is capapble of off road. The Hoodoo gets the capable Raidon fork with stiffer stanchions and adjustable damping, 9 speed Alivio gearing and better brakes, a much better bet for any riding that goes off road.

Also consider the 13 Incline Alpha - cheaper still, but with an air verion of the Raidon.
  • apocc
    supersonic wrote:
    The Voodoo is as good as the Cube is bad - the Cube having some low rent parts for the money such as the extremely heavy and clunky fork, flimsy cranks and bargain bucket rear derailer. The fork will ruin what the bike is capapble of off road. The Hoodoo gets the capable Raidon fork with stiffer stanchions and adjustable damping, 9 speed Alivio gearing and better brakes, a much better bet for any riding that goes off road.

Also consider the 13 Incline Alpha - cheaper still, but with an air verion of the Raidon.

Would you go with the Incline Alpha over the Hoodoo?
  • supersonic
    I'd go for the Alpha. The triple butted frame is high quality, the fork more adjustable, and the new Clarks M2 brakes that are being fitted (rather than exo skeletons) are the best you'll see at this price. The drivetrain is slightly inferior, but not that you'd notice to any great extent - both bikes are the best sub £400 machines I have ever seen.
  • I really don't know anything but he reason I went for the hoodoo over the alpine was that the voodoos all get great write ups whereas I've not heard much about the alpine.

From reading up the voodoos have good frames and normally win the under £££ catagories.

I've ridden mine twice and it's actually great on road. Not tried it off road yet. I personally prefer the looks. I think it looks more purposeful. I love it.

Also don't forget to order the Halfords vouchers from Halfords business with the 10% discount. That will save you £40. Order the bike online to be built in store and by the time it's done your vouchers would have arrived.

Use this link:

http://select.halfordsbusinessservices.co.uk

You can only add 10 vouchers at a time so once added to basket go back and add the rest.

Then use one of these codes:MCOUNTHal09, ELGHAL13, NRTSCHAL13 at the checkout to get the 10% off. Then just pay for the recorded delivery.
  • apocc
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd go for the Alpha. The triple butted frame is high quality, the fork more adjustable, and the new Clarks M2 brakes that are being fitted (rather than exo skeletons) are the best you'll see at this price. The drivetrain is slightly inferior, but not that you'd notice to any great extent - both bikes are the best sub £400 machines I have ever seen.

I just went to Halfords and had a look at both. The guy in the shop was really enthusiastic and seemed to know his stuff.... which I wasn't expecting given the reviews of the Halfords staff online! lol

Anyway, he told me the brakes on the Alpha are luck of the draw when you order. Some arrive with the exo skeletons and some arrive with the Clarks. He said he could not guarantee I would get Clarks if I ordered.

After sitting on both both I think I prefer the feel of the Hoodoo and I think I'm going to go with that. Appreciate your help!
  • supersonic
    If it feels good, go for it!

PS I work for Halfords part time - I ain't just recommending them because they pay me, they are quality bikes. The sales advisor was right that it is either or: however, if you see a certain spec at the point of sale, online or in shop, then you should expect that and are entitled to that if you buy or order. True, many are turning up in the shop with either and specs are subject to change - but that does not take away your rights to what you saw and ordered. The Exo are an older brake - more adjustable than the M2, but more problematic in lever feel, need frequent bleeds. The M2 I use on my Zaskar Carbon, is a quality brake.

You won't go wrong with the Voodoo though, one of our best sellers.
  • apocc
    supersonic wrote:
    If it feels good, go for it!

PS I work for Halfords part time - I ain't just recommending them because they pay me, they are quality bikes. The sales advisor was right that it is either or: however, if you see a certain spec at the point of sale, online or in shop, then you should expect that and are entitled to that if you buy or order. True, many are turning up in the shop with either and specs are subject to change - but that does not take away your rights to what you saw and ordered. The Exo are an older brake - more adjustable than the M2, but more problematic in lever feel, need frequent bleeds. The M2 I use on my Zaskar Carbon, is a quality brake.

You won't go wrong with the Voodoo though, one of our best sellers.

The one in store had exo skeletons on and online literally just says 'Hydraulic disc brakes'! You are correct but they don't advertise the Clarks M2 anywhere!
  • apocc
    oh and you seem to know your stuff! Will you go to my local branch and build mine for me please? haha