Garmin 520 charging

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Does anyone charge their Garmin from a phone charger , ( I've been looking for the charge voltage and milliamps but cannot find anything in the Garmin manual,)
Or do they just charge from a USB port?
Thanks
Dave

Comments

• It will charge from any USB power source.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Thanks Mark, I have just been plugging it into the laptop, next time I will use my phone charger
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I charge my Garmin Touring using the iPad charger. Seems a lot quicker than the laptop USB port.

Unfortunately I still have to connect it to the laptop to sync the thing
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My 810 gets charged on the PC but the rides are already uploading as I get in the door when the phone picks up my WiFi and syncs with the 810.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    My 810 gets charged on the PC but the rides are already uploading as I get in the door when the phone picks up my WiFi and syncs with the 810.

That's what confuses me slightly about this marvelous phone pairing and wi-fi blah blah. Doesn't everyone plug theirs into a computer anyway? If battery life was much better and you only did short rides then maybe but with a 520 I charge pretty much after every ride anyway.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Until the USB port eventually gets wet/corroded and stops communicating with the PC. This just happened to me and I have lost 4 days, 500km of alpine riding on many of the bigs climbs in Italy/Switzerland/Austria border region.

Then you'll wish you had a wireless connection with your PC to upload the rides.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Can't you instead connect it over Bluetooth with your phone, upload the rides on Garmin Connect and then download the files, if needed?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    redvee wrote:

That's what confuses me slightly about this marvelous phone pairing and wi-fi blah blah. Doesn't everyone plug theirs into a computer anyway? If battery life was much better and you only did short rides then maybe but with a 520 I charge pretty much after every ride anyway.

I don't own a computer, just iPads. (Well I actually have a laptop, but I now find Windows so hideous and slow to use compared to an iPad it never actually gets used), so Bluetooth pairing with my phone and automatically uploading whilst I'm putting the bike away in the shed is excellent for me. I charge the 520 with an iPad charger, it only needs doing every couple of hundred miles anyway.
  • keef66
    Apart from chatting to the GPS satellites and my HR monitor, the only way my Garmin Touring communicates with the outside world is via that USB cable. Unless that is I get to grips with saving stuff to the SD card and then stick that in the laptop.

A fellow forumite told me that the port is only USB 1.0 which explains why it takes hours to update it's maps via Garmin Express when it's plugged in, and that it would be a gazillion times quicker to download directly to the SD card.
  • keef66
    NorvernRob wrote:
    redvee wrote:

I don't own a computer, just iPads. (Well I actually have a laptop, but I now find Windows so hideous and slow to use compared to an iPad it never actually gets used), so Bluetooth pairing with my phone and automatically uploading whilst I'm putting the bike away in the shed is excellent for me. I charge the 520 with an iPad charger, it only needs doing every couple of hundred miles anyway.

That's a problem for me. The laptop was always on till I got an iPad, now it's rarely used. I have to make a point of starting it up just to sync the Garmin. Proper pain in the @rse.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    keef66 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    redvee wrote:

That's a problem for me. The laptop was always on till I got an iPad, now it's rarely used. I have to make a point of starting it up just to sync the Garmin. Proper pain in the @rse.

I couldn't be bothered with it, so when I only had a Garmin 200 I ran Strava on my phone too so I didn't have to mess about with the laptop!
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Can't you instead connect it over Bluetooth with your phone, upload the rides on Garmin Connect and then download the files, if needed?

Cant remember the last time i plugged my 520 into the computer because of this. Upload via bluetooth after each ride, plug into which ever usb plug is free for one of the kids samsung tablets to charge it. Job done.
    D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Can you get routes onto the device without plugging it in to a computer? That's the only time mine goes near a computer.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    vpnikolov wrote:

I have an Edge 800 so no such option, unfortunately.