New frame time

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Been gifted a wodge of vouchers for PlanetX, cannot thing of any clobber I really need so thought I would treat myself to a frameset.

Choices I have are the Pro carbon
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/ ... d-frameset

RT-57
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT57BS ... d-frameset

Or the RT-80
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT80/p ... d-frameset

Rest are a bit above my budget even with the gifted voucher. Question is which? after some advice from people who have tried them really an also a bit tarty but what colour, I have a white wheelset which makes things a bit awkward, currently im thinking the pro carbon in green as the RT-80 is only 140g heavier which could easily be saved elsewhere. Or am I missing something else? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Titanium. I love it!
  • step83
    Titanium is out of my price range im afraid
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Holdsworth Competition
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would go for the RT 80 out of those three, lighter frame set with the option of fitting light components. If you fit the same components to the Pro Carbon it will always be a heavier bike, not by much but every bit helps :) . I really like my Pro Carbon and it's not heavy at 7.25kg. but I would definitely give the RT 80 a go if the geo is right for you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    RT-80 is a branded version of a frame made/marketed by a variety of Chinese OEM outlets - Hong-Fu, Deng-Fu etc and is 'similar' to a well-known Cervelo frameset. It is generally made of good quality carbon and is probably on a par with the Cervelo equivalent performance-wise. The Pro-carbon is an older design made from lesser carbon. The RT-80 is a no-brainer IMO.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • step83
    diamonddog wrote:
    I would go for the RT 80 out of those three, lighter frame set with the option of fitting light components. If you fit the same components to the Pro Carbon it will always be a heavier bike, not by much but every bit helps :) . I really like my Pro Carbon and it's not heavy at 7.25kg. but I would definitely give the RT 80 a go if the geo is right for you.

I've a friend with an RT-90 which is the same geo just different carbon lay up I'll see if I can have a little peddle about on that. Pro Carbon wise I rode one the other year when I was seeing what the new SRAM kit was about an quite liked the slack geo. I'll give the RT a try if I can I think that will be the decider It looks to be a more aggressive frameset which may work may not.

Weight wise anything will be a gain I've gone lightweight as I can on the current bike 1.5Kg wheelset lighter bars, stem saddle an post as well as a lightish groupset (SRAM Rival/Red22 its still tipping the scales at over 10Kg.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    RT80 all day long. I built mine after having a pro-carbon for 5 years. It was a great little bike but the RT80, is lighter, stiffer (but more comfortable), sprints better (pro carbon rear end can get a bit out of shape when really hammering. The frames, hong-fu as previously mentioned have been out for about 4 years and there is scarcely a bad word said about them.... see weight-weenies etc.

edit: why have you got white wheels though, how did that happen?? :lol:
  • step83
    May save a bit an go with that, trying a friends at the weekend.

White wheelset was a bargain £75 for a lightweight wheelset with 2 year warranty in the UK, was to good to miss. It was white or gold, grey frame it made sense at the time to get white. Thankfully the RT-80 comes in a black an white combo, an my winter wheels are black so it works.
    I'll give the RT-80 a try an see how it feels I've a daft body shape anyway silly long arms an short legs.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    edited August 2016
    @Step83.
    Just bought the RT-80 framset. Its down LBS having the headsest fitted and carbon steerer cut. Very impressed so far.
    I chose one of the R-Grade frames which are currently going for £399 delivered, which is astonishingly good value.

While the description says they may have upside down decals (naff) and some paint issues, I did ring to check first and the guy there said they only have stock with some paint imperfections.

It was fingers crossed until it arrived, but really pleased. Really light frameset, and while it has a few imperfections (about 6, marked with Arrowed stickers) to be honest they were barely noticeable. The only one I would have probably have picked up without the stickers was a very small nick to the clearcoat 1/2 way down the fork. This I can fix by nicking the missus's nail varnish (an applying to bike not me ;) )

Its also worth pointing out - I am also like you - proportionally short legs to long arms&body, and looking at the measurements against my current Spesh, I think its going to be a really good fit.

Pull the trigger mate.
    Can I upgrade???
  • step83
    Ahhh didnt know that they will get nicks an marks anyway ill give them a buzz on Monday then an check.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    Step83 wrote:
    Ahhh didnt know that they will get nicks an marks anyway ill give them a buzz on Monday then an check.
    Not sure what you mean here mate. They all get nicks'n'marks when used ;)
    What I mean is the the standard frameset is either £500 or £549 (dependany upon colour) with RRP (laughably) set at 900 quid, but the lightly marked R-Grade framesets are £399. If that what you meant - then fine :)
    Can I upgrade???
  • step83
    That is, sorry half asleep usually when I post. They all end up marked etc so some to start with means I can try blagging I've had it a while.

"look ive had this months mate its scuffed!"

Had a play on both The Pro is more fun but I could tell it was flexing like mine under load the RT-80 was stiff without being a bone shaker an I felt it picked up speed better so thats me sold. May need to wait till the end of the month annoyingly though other half said her car felt lumpy when pulling away. May be something to do with it running on three cylinders.