Cyclist down on CycleSuperhighway Embankment

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
Cyclist down at the crossing junction just west of Blackfriars this morning. He was awake but not getting up in a hurry and surrounded by concerned people both other cyclists and pedestrians.

Was on the Segregated section so presume it was not car related - I guess either c-on-c although I did only see one guy getting attention, pedestrian, or misjudgment. The switching of lanes up to the Bridge is not the most logical roadlayout ever designed and with the cyclists filtering in from having taken the road route through the underpass rather than the cycle path it becomes a little too confusing when busy.

Hope the downed cyclist is ok - and if not all good then wishes for speedy recovery

Comments

• kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    My commute takes me this way (Bermondsey through to Green Park), and the Blackfriars section is a complete mess as far I'm concerned.

I assume this is the bit heading east, up Victoria Embankment on to Blackfriars Bridge. As you say, switching from the right hand lane, across a set of lights, when there are also cyclists attempting to join from the underpass, is a recipe for disaster. I take the underpass heading west (after heading down White Lion Hill), and find it is much easier to join the cycle lane about 150m down the road where there is a paved section where you can wait for a break in the flow of bikes.

Similarly, the section of road outside the Unilever building is a complete shambles. If you're heading north and want to turn right down Queen Victoria Street, the lanes aren't wide enough to accommodate a right-hand lane position, with nodders wobbling past on your left, and choppers heading south straddling both lanes.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    imatfaal wrote:
    The switching of lanes up to the Bridge is not the most logical road layout ever designed

It's an inelegant solution for sure, but I'm not sure how else it could be done? The key is that everyone observes lane discipline, watches out for other traffic and obeys the lights :roll:

Hope the (wo)man down is OK.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I don't normally come in that way but was sitting at that junction for a while this morning whilst heading East (it's a long pause at those lights).

I was waiting to turn right to go under the bridge but saw at least three close misses from riders who are going straight on (I say straight but it's a left/right chicane) almost hitting riders who are jumping the lights coming from the other side of the road (the tunnel side) and crossing that lane to head West.

It's a mess and the riders who are going straight on not slowing down and assuming it will be clear doesn't really help either.
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

It's a mess and the riders who are going straight on not slowing down and assuming it will be clear doesn't really help either.

That's the crux of a lot of the poor riding/driving though isn't it! Inpatients/lack of anticipation.

Most of the time it's no slower hanging back when riding/driving