Wheelsets : Bontrager Race TLR, or carbon Spherik 5S6?

jongen
jongen Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello! BikeRadar avid reader, but first post here. Here goes!

So, I got a new Trek Émonda SL 5. It comes with Bontrager Race TLR clinchers, and the advice around is pretty much always the same: upgrade them as fast as you can.

I was planning on doing so next year, but my LBS and its (non-commission) staff tried to talk me into Spherik 5S6 wheels (more info on the entire line). They're about 45% off the retail price at US $700. My LBS's opinion: at full price, they're not good value, but at half price, they're seriously worth it. They have semi rims (I tend to roll hilly terrain, and I, and they're lighter, but marginally so (manufacturer claims 1560g vs Bontrager at 1769g, but I'd measure accurately if necessary). Is the fact that they're all carbon good, or will it hurt longevity on the braking surface?

There is very little information (this article deals with the more compact 4S6) about these wheels anywhere online, so my question to you is how its specs stack up, and if specs are enough for me to be confident of their quality or not.

The reason I'd want to pull the trigger right away is that I want to fit my (24-spoke) Powertap hub on my new rear wheel. Now, if I do it on the stock wheel, and then upgrade later on, I'm looking at an extra $100 or so of shop fees (and new spokes), so by buying my "dream" wheels right now, or at least good quality ones, I'd avoid that.

So: this wheelset, good quality compared to my Bontragers? Worth pulling the trigger at these prices? If so, what should I tell my bike shop in terms of dealing with the spokes (the PowerTap hub requiring new spokes, I presume)? Or, should I look elsewhere at more recognizable brands for my first foray into wheel updates? Or are my Bontrager Race not so bad after all?

Comments

• jongen
    jongen Posts: 3
    I've edited my post to remove an option I've eliminated, somewhat streamlining my thought process :)