Giant Stance 1 x 10

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

I'm thinking of doing my sons Stance 1x10 with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette and a Superstar narrow wide front chainring, he 11 and quite a good mtb er, he climbs well on std gearing ( 24/32/42 front and 11/34 rear )only going into granny ring on some quite tough climbs, so I was thinking of either a 32-34 front chainring, I already have a XT med cage clutch mech so I presume that would work ok ?

I know I would need a 10 speed shifter and chain, is there anything else to think of would I need a chain device etc

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't recommend the superstar chainring. They're cheap but mine didn't last very long. The absolute black chainring I replaced it with seems to be lasting forever.
  • iwilldoit
    I wouldn't recommend the superstar chainring. They're cheap but mine didn't last very long. The absolute black chainring I replaced it with seems to be lasting forever.

Thank you for the advise on the Superstar, would you have any advice on what size chainring to try or any other things to think of.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Both of my superstar narrow wides have lasted a good length of time, and were quieter than my raceface n/w

You may need a longer b screw to help, i run the same combo with an slx medium, and needed the longer screw.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have been running 1x9 (11;34 with a 32T) for a fair while but was struggling on longer rides where blitzing the steeper/longer hills was taking a bit too much out of me (50 years old, fairly fit for age but no spring chicken), I've now gone 1x10 using an 11:40 (with a short cage XTR mech and some chain growth from the FS I thought 11:42 would be a gamble) and have gone to a 34T as it still gives me about 'one and half' gears more at the lower end and will just give me a small increase in top end when needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have been running 1x9 (11;34 with a 32T) for a fair while but was struggling on longer rides where blitzing the steeper/longer hills was taking a bit too much out of me (50 years old, fairly fit for age but no spring chicken), I've now gone 1x10 using an 11:40 (with a short cage XTR mech and some chain growth from the FS I thought 11:42 would be a gamble) and have gone to a 34T as it still gives me about 'one and half' gears more at the lower end and will just give me a small increase in top end when needed.

Thanks for the info are you using the Sunrace cassette and what front chain ring are you using please, did you find any need for a chain device ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sunrace cassette, yes.

Was using an on-one narrow wide 32t, now swapped to a Gamut 34t, no chain guide, no clutch, never dropped a chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.