Another tyres thread

Maro
Maro Posts: 226
edited August 2016 in MTB general
The Maxxis minions on my trail bike are coming to the end of their life. I've not been dissapointed with them but wondered if there were better tyres for me and my usage. I ride all year round on varying surfaces and will need them to work for light DH duties to XC/trail center rides.

I'm thinking WTB vigilante up front, and something faster rolling at the rear, Hans Damph or High Roller.

Where do you ride and what rubber do you use?
Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.

Comments

• I cant complain about my High Roller/Ardent combo.
    Trail centre and natural XC type riding mainly.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I'm also running High Roller II front and Ardent Race on the back. Ride a bit of everything and it works great. I'm hardly using them to their limits, though.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't call a Dampf or HR fast rolling for a rear tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maro
    Oh, ok. What might you suggest?

I had nobby nics on a previous bike, they seemed a good all rounder.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Vigilante front, Trail Boss rear. Great combo.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd stick with what you have. You know it works for you.
    Other people can suggest their favourite but unless they ride on the same surfaces and have a similar riding style to you it's sort of irrelevant.
    Having said that, I like Specialized Butchers, which are basically Minions!
  • Maro
    That's just it innit.

You'd never know until you've gone and bought them, unless you've tried them on another, very similar, bike.
    Other people can suggest their favourite but unless they ride on the same surfaces and have a similar riding style to you it's sort of irrelevant.

I agree, that's why I asked where folk ride. For example, I'll be at FoD one weekend, trail center and locals trails, then maybe Afan the next. Both areas have different surfaces.

2 weeks in the Alps cut the rear tyre enough that it will no longer seal tubeless, and put a bulge in the front one.
  • My two 'go to' tyre combinations are Minion DHF/DHR2 and Bontrager XR4/XR3 depending on what I'm riding. I favour the bonty combo most the year round as they offer pretty much the same grip level but roll faster for less gravity orientated riding. I hear a lot of bonty fans using the SE versions more and more for stiffer casings with a small weight and rolling penalty.

Where conditions get very loose I would look at using Minions.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL