Orbea Avant M40 v Planet X Carbon Pro (Opinions please)

Jamiek695
Jamiek695 Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi there, I'm after my first road bike, my budget is £1,000 and can go no higher. Im after some peoples verdicts on these 2 bikes. On The Orbea I love the look, but not such a fan of the (cheaper) groupset. The Carbon Pro, Im after the SRAM Rival version, but some say the frame isn't as good.

I will be using it as my daily commuter- in most weather conditions and to use for the odd cycle in the evenings a few times a week. I have a Norco Hybrid currently but want to get a road bike as I have been bitten by the bug. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James

Comments

• oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Orbea all the way;components could be upgraded later9and yes I own a Planet X).
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Do yourself a favour and don't get the Planet X- it's 10 year old frame and feels it. I know. I have had one.

This is what I would be getting with my cash:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/giant ... 16-p290496

Leagues ahead of the Planet X, regardless of what the inevitable follow-up posters are going to say in defence of their supposedly brilliant PX Pro Carbons

There are far better frames for your money than the PX
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Jamiek695 wrote:
    Hi there, I'm after my first road bike, my budget is £1,000 and can go no higher. Im after some peoples verdicts on these 2 bikes. On The Orbea I love the look, but not such a fan of the (cheaper) groupset. The Carbon Pro, Im after the SRAM Rival version, but some say the frame isn't as good.

I will be using it as my daily commuter- in most weather conditions and to use for the odd cycle in the evenings a few times a week. I have a Norco Hybrid currently but want to get a road bike as I have been bitten by the bug. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James

Not sure you're comparing eggs with eggs. Had a look at the Orbea M40 and the cheapest model I can see is £1200 so well above your £1000 max. The Pro Carbon Rival model is £800.

That aside I can comment on the Pro Carbon but not the Orbea. I bought a Pro Carbon frameset and built it up with Shimano 105 5800 and some handbuilt wheels (Archetype/Miche Primato) and I have been delighted with the result. Rides well and is very comfortable. Also I like the fact that it has a standard BSA threaded bottom bracket so is free from the frequent problems associated with various pressfit types. Can't establish what BB type is on the Orbea.

I am also able to run 28mm tyres tho the clearance is a little tight but no problems so far in around 500 miles of riding. You would certainly get away with 25mm on the Pro Carbon. Again not sure about the frame clearance on the Orbea.

Just a few observations from my experience - hope they help.
  • Jamiek695 wrote:
    I will be using it as my daily commuter- in most weather conditions

Mudguard eyelets before carbon bling.....
  • Semantik
    arlowood wrote:
    Jamiek695 wrote:

Thanks in advance

James

I bought a Pro Carbon frameset and built it up with Shimano 105 5800 and some handbuilt wheels (Archetype/Miche Primato) and I have been delighted with the result.

Throw your leg over something newer, more responsive, lighter, more aero and your delight at your Pro carbon will soon fade away. Especially when you realise you haven't actually saved any money buying the PX. Technology in cycling moves a long way forward in ten years and the real world differences this imparts to your ride experience are tangible.
  • Jamiek695
    Jamiek695 Posts: 8
    edited August 2016
    Cycle Surgery have it for £999 which is a relatively local shop to me, Im going to try and head down there saturday and take a more detailed look at it. And get there advice too.

arlowood wrote:
    Jamiek695 wrote:

Thanks in advance

James

Not sure you're comparing eggs with eggs. Had a look at the Orbea M40 and the cheapest model I can see is £1200 so well above your £1000 max. The Pro Carbon Rival model is £800.

That aside I can comment on the Pro Carbon but not the Orbea. I bought a Pro Carbon frameset and built it up with Shimano 105 5800 and some handbuilt wheels (Archetype/Miche Primato) and I have been delighted with the result. Rides well and is very comfortable. Also I like the fact that it has a standard BSA threaded bottom bracket so is free from the frequent problems associated with various pressfit types. Can't establish what BB type is on the Orbea.

I am also able to run 28mm tyres tho the clearance is a little tight but no problems so far in around 500 miles of riding. You would certainly get away with 25mm on the Pro Carbon. Again not sure about the frame clearance on the Orbea.

Just a few observations from my experience - hope they help.
  • Thanks for all the responses guys, seems to be the Orbea is the one to go for, or something along those lines. I will look into things more on whats the max tyre size they can take and so on. But really appreciate all your help, so much info to try and take in!

James
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Semantik wrote:
    Throw your leg over something newer, more responsive, lighter, more aero and your delight at your Pro carbon will soon fade away. Especially when you realise you haven't actually saved any money buying the PX. Technology in cycling moves a long way forward in ten years and the real world differences this imparts to your ride experience are tangible.
    Sorry not IME, I have a Canyon Ultimate CF and a Pro Carbon (weight: Canyon 6.8kg - PX 7.25kg). The ride with reference to responsiveness IME = no discernible difference, price difference = a lot, enjoyment factor when riding them is the same.
  • Semantik
    diamonddog wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Sorry not IME, I have a Canyon Ultimate CF and a Pro Carbon (weight: Canyon 6.8kg - PX 7.25kg). The ride with reference to responsiveness IME = no discernible difference, price difference = a lot, enjoyment factor when riding them is the same.

No accounting for personal impressions but I stand by my assertion- there are far better bikes than the Pro Carbon now available to buy for similar money.
    I have owned one and have also owned a similar vintage Ribble carbon-neither were as responsive or compliant as my current ride which cost me less than £1k new. The difference is not imaginary. I can measure it in mph terms
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Semantik wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    Jamiek695 wrote:

Thanks in advance

James

I bought a Pro Carbon frameset and built it up with Shimano 105 5800 and some handbuilt wheels (Archetype/Miche Primato) and I have been delighted with the result.

The OP was asking for opinions on the Orbea M40 or the PX Pro Carbon - I gave my opinion the Pro Carbon based on my own experience. Couldn't comment on the Orbea but I doubt there are many that could give you an objective comparison having ridden both under the same conditions.

As far as newer technology is concerned - I have owned and ridden a Trek Madone 5.9 and I can't say it was significantly better than the Pro Carbon. For the type of riding I do, I'm perfectly happy with the PX. Doubtless there are other bikes out there that may be better in one respect or another but until I have the funds or inclination to change I'll stick with what I've got
  • Semantik
    arlowood wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    Jamiek695 wrote:

Thanks in advance

James

Doubtless there are other bikes out there that may be better in one respect or another but until I have the funds or inclination to change I'll stick with what I've got

You are missing the point-the OP is talking about the £1000 price point- and so am I.

For that sum of money there are much better frames than the PX carbon.
    Yes, for the undiscerning ,undemanding rider the PX will 'do the job' but I was trying to steer the OP towards something that would give him better value for his money. If I appear to have poured scorn on your pride and joy then this was not my intention.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    The Orbea is an endurance machine so it will be comfortable over a long distance, not sure about the PX.

If you are not sure about either then it means you ought to keep looking to find the right bike.