Tyre Upgrade

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a new tyre been looking at continental trail tyre and schwable noby nic, but never had any experience with these tyres as I'm still using my stock tyre Maxxis Ardent 29" 2.25. Would probably be upgrading the front tyre for now as it keep sliding when going down specially when the trail is rocky.

Or if I go a bit wider then I might need to upgrade front and back, do I need to change the rims if I go wider? if not then yeah would need a faster rolling for the back and grippy one in front. Planning to go about 2.3/5 if that will fit a bizango, never upgraded a tyre before so would need guidance :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Compound makes more difference than type.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes you can go wider on your current rims, but they aren't the widest of rims so I'd stick to a sensible 2.25-2.3" maximum.

Maxis High Roller front and an Ardent rear is a popular combination allowing you to use your current Ardent* for a bit longer.

Front grip is also about riding position and technique, it needs weight on the front tyre for it to work!

*Assuming its not a cheap plasticky and gripless compound.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • core00
    cooldad wrote:
    Compound makes more difference than type.

What compound I should be looking for?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any Dual (not single) compound.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    black chilli compound in continental tyres not sure on schwalbe did run a evo compound nobby nic tyre on the front one time which was fine for the use it got.
  • Check out Geax tyres, they are currently going through re-branding with Vittoria so you might be able to pick up Geax branded tyres for a bargain price. I got myself 29er Gato (wet weather XC) tyres for £9.99 and Goma (enduro) for £19.99 all top folding tubeless flavors.

Cheap single compound Continental and Schwalbe tend to be a bit sketchy in the wet in my experience.. I always had to keep the pressure fairly low to stop sliding/washing out. They ride fine in the dry though, shame the summer so short! :D
  • core00
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes you can go wider on your current rims, but they aren't the widest of rims so I'd stick to a sensible 2.25-2.3" maximum.

Maxis High Roller front and an Ardent rear is a popular combination allowing you to use your current Ardent* for a bit longer.

Front grip is also about riding position and technique, it needs weight on the front tyre for it to work!

*Assuming its not a cheap plasticky and gripless compound.

The only high roller I can find is 2.3 and above, can you run two different tyre width? one 2.3 (front) and 2.2 (rear)? Well that's if I go with Maxis HR II, they also have the Minion but CRC only have 2.3 and above as well on Minion.