SRAM eTAP rear derailleur and blips on XC bike?

harmvandommelen
harmvandommelen Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I ride in The Netherlands (North Holland region). That means: 100% XC, no long or very steep climbs, not very muddy. I have never used the 36 and 42 cogs on my current SRAM XX1 setup on my Specialized Epic...

I will install an Edco Monoblock 11-speed 11-32 cassette to replace the 10-42 SRAM XG-1199 X-Dome cassette soon.

This cassette is compatible with SRAM Red eTAP. As I very much like the Red eTAP system: would an SRAM Red eTAP rear derailleur combined with the control box and two "blips" (in stead of the shifters used in the race grips) work on my Epic? Or am I being silly here?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They will work, but why not just use Shimano MTB e-shifting parts?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The main reason I'm not opting for Di2 is that I want to get rid of all cabling. That's what I like most about eTAP...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fair enough!

Yes see no reason why it won't work at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your input, Rookie.
    I'll start saving for the eTAP-set... :D