Are Zipp 60 wheels an upgrade over Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC?

countachkid
countachkid Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi first post here and I'd first like to say thank you for the great info on this forum. It has really been helpful to me as I get into cycling. First a little background I'm a fairly new rider I've been riding for 9 weeks now 4-6 times a week. I started for exercise, but have been bitten by the speed bug. I purchased a used Tarmac Expert SL. with Ultegra components that was equipped with Mavic Ksyrium SL SSL wheels by the previous owner. I'm a heavier rider starting at 235 lbs now down to 200 lbs. I started with an average speed on the flats around 16 mph for 20-40 mile rides and am now up to 19-21 riding solo. I'm working hard to build up my speed to not embarrass myself in a local race. So back to my question on equipment considering the above and following.

I ride 97% mostly flats on quality roads and trails. Minor climbing over local bridge that is a significant grade.

-Currently have 23mm gatorskin clincher tires on the Mavic wheels.
-I would only be $350 out of pocket after the trade after selling my current wheels to another rider who wants them.

Would I benefit trading my Ksyrium SL SSC wheels for a set of Zipp 60 clinchers only or would I be better off with something else (i.e. waiting until I can afford full carbon wheels or go with tubulars)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The Zipp 60 sound perfect for your riding, but first thing I would replace the Gatorskin with something a bit quicker... GP 4000 for instance
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Zipp 60 sound perfect for your riding, but first thing I would replace the Gatorskin with something a bit quicker... GP 4000 for instance

Ok great. Would likely sell the tires with the wheels anyway.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well yes the Zipps should increase your speed a little, as would ditching gatorskins for some race tyres. You may find the zipps harder to hadle in windy conditions but different riders vary as to how much of a problem they find that and if they are carbon and alloy the weight may make them a little slower to acceleratethough I believe modern thinking is that this isn't that significant.

Full carbons will be lighter but perhaps not brake as well in the wet. Tubulars will be lighter and the rim a little tougher - I find them more of a faff but some (a minority) disagree.

cross post with ugo
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Just wanted to say thank you for the information. I made the trade for the Zipp 60's and even though I haven't gotten better tires yet (ordered them today) I'm 1.5 and 2.1 mph faster average over two, 30 mile rides on my normal route. Need more testing, but the 2.1 mph was with the aero disk cover on the rear wheel which came in my trade. So I'm going to get some more rides in with and without it to see if I want to leave it on. Wheels definitely don't spin up quite as fast, but holding speed is dramatically easier. Broke 14 personal bests on Strava segments first ride out.