derailleur / hanger - destroyed thread, glue it ?

razorjack
razorjack Posts: 98
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My hanger and derailleur have destroyed threads (i need to buy new anyway)
i thought about glueing it together for few days. Epoxy resin for metals? epoxy resin putty for metals ?
someone tried that solution? if it works for a week/two i'll be happy

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Silly question maybe, but hangers are normally aluminium, mechs have steel threads. I can see the hanger getting stripped but not the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You could try some JB Weld (liquid metal) in the hanger thread and see if the derailleur will then screw into it but you'll probably need to re-tap the thread. Or try screwing the derailleur in before the JB Weld goes fully off then leave to set.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cooldad wrote:
    Silly question maybe, but hangers are normally aluminium, mechs have steel threads. I can see the hanger getting stripped but not the mech.
    there was a play for some time (and seized bolt in X9 derailleur, i couldn't tighten it) - that's why thread is destroyed in both
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    razorjack wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    there was a play for some time (and seized bolt in X9 derailleur, i couldn't tighten it) - that's why thread is destroyed in both

Take a closer look - a steel bolt with the remains of an aluminium thread wrapped round it can look very similar to a wrecked bolt.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • both threads destroyed, i did clean them yesterday.
    bolt thread is more like compacted by play/vibrations

and also i'm not sure if that bolt is steel one, i've almost strip allen key socket on it (when it was seized)
    31jhSJm9kyL.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seizing of the bolt inside the bracket on X9 mechs is not unknown, it needs decent grease on the body during assembly to stop water getting in!

Getting a seized one off is indeed a bit of a game.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Shimano user here, 100%.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ?

anyway, in the future i'll change it to Zee
    (not gonna pay >70£ for a derailleur used on DH bike...)
  • cooldad
    You'll need a new shifter as well then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • i know
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just get an X9 and look after it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ah, didn't notice, there is a new Sram GX group, that replaces x7 and x9 10s
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/prod ... derailleur
  • for now, rear mech and hanger are connected by Araldite Metal Epoxy :) works fine for the last 2 months :)