Cannondale's Synapse vs CAAD - question of versatility

bd10kt
bd10kt Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi forum,

What's your view on Cannondale's CAAD 12 Ultegra vs their Synapse 105 (Carbon) range in terms of versatility and comfort?

I'll be trying both out later this week in the shop, but I was hoping to get your opinion experience with either or both bikes.

My primary aim will be to first and foremost work out. I will join a local bike club for Sunday rides or tours and to commute to work (ca 1h each way).

In terms of stand-over, I am 5ft7 and measured my inseam length around 76-77cm with no shoes or cleates on. Comparing the stand-over heights for a 52cm frame, the Synapse is roomier: 72.5cm for the 51cm frame and 75.8 for the 54cm frame. The CAAD has 78.2cm.

What I find seriously tempting about the CAAD over the Synapse is the frame. Nice high-end alloy frame and very light.
The default position is surely more racy than the Synapse, but to what extend could I relax the riding position with an angled stem and a spacer for example? If I can modify the bike to accommodate a more relaxed/upright position for longer trips and to keep it racy for work outs, could I get the best of both worlds?

Thanks,

BD

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,872
    I have two Synapses, although have yet to ride the new one, which is an Ultegra version.

I have never ridden a modern CAAD bike.

I'll give you my stats, and tell you what I ride.

I am 5ft 10, but have a 34" inseam, versus your 30" inseam, so in that respect I would say your upper body is longer than mine - no idea on arm length or flexibility of course.

I ride a 54 with a good chunk of seatpost showing, and currently with all spacers in place, but you could easily slam the front end with no problems at all, which would make it much more aggressive.

As a frame design, it is absurdly comfortable, so comfortable in fact that I rode it for several weeks with no handlebar tape on it at all.

And I loved the Alloy one so much, which is my winter bike with guards, that I decided to go for the carbon one as a comfy long distance bike - hopefully fitting new wheels today, have a few other bits to tinker with and then should be good to by the weekend, with a prevailing wind.

Quite a good review here, all be it of an Ultegra disc model, but talks about the front end height, and ability to slam it.
    http://road.cc/content/review/155985-cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-disc

Hopefully a CAAD owner will come on to give you their feedback.

I expect both bikes will be good, but with your dimensions, I do wonder if the CAAD might be a better bet if you are after something more racey - can you test ride them back to back, somewhere like Evans?
    Someone mentioned that Cyclesurgery run 24 hour test rides.

And also, have you not considered the Supersix....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • *Dusty*
    *Dusty* Posts: 35
    I have an alloy Synapse, very comfy, also size 54 although I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

It's comfy but flexes but not designed to be racy although the stem has four spacers under it so could be made slightly more aggressive, I don't think the frame deals well under heavy load when you put the power down.

I would not buy the carbon version, if I'm buying another bike it can't be to fit the same requirements as my current one but having seen one, it's lovely!! :D
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Hi,

I speak from experience of having 5 months on a carbon synapse and would describe it as a very good bike, almost at the 2000 mile marker for five months after spells off the bike with a very bad neck.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13064899

Some caveats I would level at it are. Slightly/mildly fudgy at the BB area but that's to be expected. Does not have the raw grunt of a race bike like a tarmac, evo etc but once up to speed it is as quick, just takes longer to get there. Also, I changed the finishing kit, bar and stem to Zipp alloy as inherently stiffer than the stock C2 cannnondale kit which was very flexy under load (pushing and pulling on climbs).

On the huge plus sides it as a superb bike for comfort, fit and mile munching - and in that respect I have no complaints. Just took a bit of tinkering to get the front end stiffer at the contact points + I run a power saddle from Spesh.

In respect of a CAAD they are chalk and cheese, and the Pete of old would have done miles on a CAAD, for me, now, totally the wrong geo. Super aggressive.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Caad10 disc owner here. I have a 54cm which is smaller than I used to ride and trust me the way I have it set up its not aggressive and I think this statement that normally gets banded about is false as you can make it aggressive if you want but if not that's also possible.

Being the disc version this adds to the bike versatility and believe it or not I currently use mine as a gravel bike with 32mm tyres fitted!
  • bd10kt
    Hi,

the CAAD's allow frame feels impressive. Had a chance to hop onto one last night. They did not have a Synapse in the store, so I'll be checking one out later today.

To what extend can the CAAD be made less aggressive? Can the handle bar be raised? The sales chap at Evans said the handle bar could not be raised with a few spacers or an angled stem be fitted. Is this true?

All I want is to make it a bit less aggressive for the beginning or later depending on the situation: racier set-up for proper work-out (the primary purpose for getting a road bike), more laid back for longer trips.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2016
    bd10kt wrote:
    To what extend can the CAAD be made less aggressive? Can the handle bar be raised? The sales chap at Evans said the handle bar could not be raised with a few spacers or an angled stem be fitted. Is this true?

All I want is to make it a bit less aggressive for the beginning or later depending on the situation: racier set-up for proper work-out (the primary purpose for getting a road bike), more laid back for longer trips.

:shock:

What an idiot.

Wow, well assuming the steerer has not been cut down, then you can use as many spacers as it comes with generally - ie Scott only supply enough spacers so it is within their 'safe' range of heightening - assuming it is a full carbon fork and stterer (?) then in my experience most manufacturers seem to suggest you have one spacer above the stem if that makes sense, I assume to move the clamping force down from the very edge of the steerer.

The stem it comes with WILL be angled, so it's a 5 minute job to flip the stem up the other way to invert it, and lift the bars that way - not a thing to do for the purists, but if it makes the bike work for you, then why not.

Will be interested to hear what you make of the Synapse, as well as with regards to a direct comparison :-)

Your Evans chap reminds me of a chap in Decathlon (I love their bikes by the way) - I was in there helping a friend buy his first road bike, a Triban 500, and said friend mentioned that the front of the bike felt a bit low.
    No problems said the chap, I can lift the handlebars a bit for you.
    I then expected him to remove the stem, flip it over, re-attach the bars, but oh no.
    He loosened off two of the bolts securing the bars, and simply rotated them upwards, and then tightened it up again, so the levers were in no way vertical anymore.
    My friend said my face was priceless - this was of course undone as soon as we left the shop.

Just stumbled on this CAAD12 thread which might be of use too: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13064312
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    bd10kt wrote:
    Hi,

the CAAD's allow frame feels impressive. Had a chance to hop onto one last night. They did not have a Synapse in the store, so I'll be checking one out later today.

Google it as Cannondale do have specific instructions for fitting spacers and the star nut so it's important you don't use exessive spacers. My Caad is on the your bikes thread if interested in taking a look at the set up I am 5 10 btw.
  • I ride a Synapse 105 Carbon, which is extraordinarily comfortable (over 60 with a dodgy back) for both 50+ rides on North Yorkshire's rough roads and the 11 fast miles to work over the Howardian Hills. Its handling exceeds my courage and its speed my capacity. The only foreseeable upgrade is better wheels (Ksyrium Elite?) next spring.
    If you want comfort, adaptability and speed in a Cannondale it's an excellent answer.
  • bd10kt
    Hi all,

The decision's made. Will get the Synapse in carbon not the CAAD. I went to a recommended bike dealership yesterday and spent over 1h with on bike fit. Tried a few Cannondales, even their 50cm frame was a bit on the large which surprised me side for me but the 48 was quite the ticket. (Sourcing a 48cm CAAD frame would have been tricky and the carbon Synapse was in stock.) Spending over 1h at the shop for a preliminary fit/sizing was so worth it. Glad they took the time for me. Order's been placed now, really looking forward to it :-)
  • bristolpete
    bd10kt wrote:
    Hi all,

The decision's made. Will get the Synapse in carbon not the CAAD. I went to a recommended bike dealership yesterday and spent over 1h with on bike fit. Tried a few Cannondales, even their 50cm frame was a bit on the large which surprised me side for me but the 48 was quite the ticket. (Sourcing a 48cm CAAD frame would have been tricky and the carbon Synapse was in stock.) Spending over 1h at the shop for a preliminary fit/sizing was so worth it. Glad they took the time for me. Order's been placed now, really looking forward to it :-)

Good choice, the Synapse is one of the most under-rated bikes out there. Happy cycling.

Bike of the year, 2014 and nothings changed, perhaps even better -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLRSqvcz-1M
  • daniel_b
    bd10kt wrote:
    Hi all,

Congrats on the soon to be new bike, when do you get it, and we will need pics.

A little surprised a 48 was the right size - will you need an extra long stem for that?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I own a Synapse Alloy (pre-refresh), a CAAD 10 and a Supersix. All have basically the same setup ( Shimano 11 speed, deep drops, same saddle to BB distance) but I use a 17 degree stem rather than a 6 degree in the Synapse The Synapse was probably a bad decision for my body shape (5'10, 28" inside leg) but it's in no way a bad bike. It's not quite as sit up and beg as the competition, it's very comfortable and handles brilliantly ( relative to most entry level Alloy bikes) and incredibly stable, bar a nasty wobble that kicks in at 38 mph but doesn't exist above or below that speed.It still gives a pretty involving ride for all of that, although it lacks the immediacy of the CAAD. It's a very good frame for punching out distance, my first choice for 150km plus, but for thrills and speed, the CAAD kills it. The Supersix is truly a best of all worlds by comparison, but makes me wonder how comfortable a Synapse Carbon is. The Six is a supremely composed machine, regardless of surface. It's very hard to see how much better it could get.

All things being equal, if I had to cut down to one bike in the morning, I'd choose the CAAD, but the Synapse wouldn't be as far behind as the pricetag would suggest.
  • Are you sure a 48 is the right size for you?, Cannondale recommend it for people 5 foot- 5'4", I'm 5 foot 2 1/2 and I ride a 48.
  • daniel_b
    Are you sure a 48 is the right size for you?, Cannondale recommend it for people 5 foot- 5'4", I'm 5 foot 2 1/2 and I ride a 48.

I concur, I would have thought 54 or more likely 52, I hope the OP ends up with the correct size.

I am 5ft 10 and ride a 54, but needed a shorter top tube.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Cannondale sizing is a mad house.
  • bristolpete
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Cannondale sizing is a mad house.

True 'dat.

Hardest bike to fit up. ever. :roll: :mrgreen:

52 like a 54, 54 tiny and a 56cm massive - funny old frames.

They do however ride like a dream. I miss my evo.
  • They sold you the size they had in stock? No sh!t......
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000