New Felt FR Series

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I see Felt have released the new FR series which replaces the F series models, looking at some of the reviews there seem to be a raft of changes with one of them being the new FR model a have a 19mm taller head tube than the old F series.

I always liked the F Series bikes but the geometry was just too aggressive for me, so to get my ideal position on a 56cm bike I would need to have a stack of spacers under the stem however with the FR Series I should be able to do away with these possibly.

Has anyone seen a geometry chart for these yet, there is nothing on the Felt website at present but I am keen to see what the stack and reach would be for a 54cm or a 56cm bike.

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Closest I can find is a review by Cycling Tips where they suggest the FR series has stack heights that are 19mm or so bigger than the corresponding F-series numbers. No data on reach that I can find

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/felt-fr- ... e-details/
  • JesseD
    Yep, that's one of the articles I read, it looks like a great machine, suppose I will have to wait for the geometry charts to come out in the next month or so.

Only think I am not convinced about is the positioning of the rear brake calliper under the BB, I know felt have done it for a reason (better compliance for more comfort in the seat stays) but I can see it getting clogged up with mud and cr4p a lot and being a pain to adjust, especially on the fly.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    JesseD wrote:
    Yep, that's one of the articles I read, it looks like a great machine, suppose I will have to wait for the geometry charts to come out in the next month or so.

Only think I am not convinced about is the positioning of the rear brake calliper under the BB, I know felt have done it for a reason (better compliance for more comfort in the seat stays) but I can see it getting clogged up with mud and cr4p a lot and being a pain to adjust, especially on the fly.

Now being advertised by Wiggle with geo details in this link under "Size Guide"

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-fr3-road-b ... egra-2017/
  • JesseD
    Cheers Arlowood, funnily enough I just had an email from Wiggle about them being on sale.

Not sure if the geometry will suit me, TT maybe a little long unfortunately and if I drop down a size I will have around 2cm of spacers under the stem which looks awful!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JesseD wrote:

The FR models further down the food chain with alu frame and carbon fork have the rear brake located in a conventional, accessible place.
  • JesseD
    keef66 wrote:
    The FR models further down the food chain with alu frame and carbon fork have the rear brake located in a conventional, accessible place.

The reviews say they have located it under the BB on the chain stays as it allows them to tune the seat stays to be more compliant, and the chain stays are over built to be stiff so are the perfect place for them, my concern is if you need to open up the QR for any reason (wheel goes slightly out of true in a race) then you have to stop to do so, whereas on a traditional set up you simply reach behind and open the brake QR without stopping. locating the brake under the BB might be ideal for pro teams who have a spare bike, but for us mere amateurs it doesn't make that much sense?

I was only looking at the carbon bikes as I am buying a new race bike this year and after owning a felt Z75 for the past year and being impressed was keen to see what the new 2017 FR series would bring.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do all my own spannering so I'd not be keen on a rear brake caliper mounted there unless I was moving somewhere warm and dry. It's right in the firing line for crap thrown up by the front wheel, which in the UK is most of the time. And being out of sight it's not going to get the cleaning / maintenance it needs. I can see people needing a new rear caliper every 3 years. Lovely looking bike though...
  • JesseD
    keef66 wrote:
    I do all my own spannering so I'd not be keen on a rear brake caliper mounted there unless I was moving somewhere warm and dry. It's right in the firing line for crap thrown up by the front wheel, which in the UK is most of the time. And being out of sight it's not going to get the cleaning / maintenance it needs. I can see people needing a new rear caliper every 3 years. Lovely looking bike though...

Completely agree with you, I have the same feelings about the brakes integrated into the fork legs as on the new boardmans, they must be a bugger to set up correctly and a complete pain to maintain, that said not seen one in the flesh yet.

The search goes on for a new frame for me then as the Felt FR geo wont fit me, so far I have 2 in the list, the New Cube Agree C:62 pro and the Genesis Zero i, like the look of the Pinarello Gan S as well but a bit to pricey for me.

Budget of £2500 so might just wait for the winter sales and see what comes up.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I am a bit dissapointed with the price / weights of the new FR series. Not great value.
    Maybe we will see a hike in prices for 2017 model bikes all round.