Cannondale F-Si 2 or Beast of the East 3?

velogee
velogee Posts: 133
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Going to get a new hardtail as my old Cinder Cone was always a bit small for me and I've picked up my mtb'ing again (its for sale if anyones interested).

I can only use Evans Ride 2 Work and cant throw in any more than £100 on top of the £1000 limit, and I have narrowed it down to these two. I def want a HT as I don't ride anything really that technical other than local trail/natural xc stuff. I have been doing the odd trail centre day which is making me really think about the versatility of the Beast of the East and all that 27.5+ stuff. A lot of the time my riding is short 1-2hr blasts especially in the winter with some lights on (6 month old) and it can be very muddy. I worry that the 27.5+ would be useless in sloppy horse churned single track.

What does the forum think?
Madone 4.9 2014
Jeffsy 27.5 2018

Comments

• I'm in the same boat as you mate, see my £1000 hard tail post further down. I'm looking at the same cannondale as you and also the Scott aspect 900 and Scott scale 900. Spec wise it looks like the aspect 900 is best.
  • velogee
    Yeah it looks like we are after a similar bike. I would probably just go for the F-Si if it wasn't for the intrigue around the 27.5+ and it allegedly being a lot more versatile.

Of the bikes you've listed it would be either the Scale or one of the F-Si as I would definitely want 29 wheels on a XC bike
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • Yeah the Trek looks a bit low on spec, I think the Scotts are the best spec, can you not get 29" version on the aspect? I thought you could.
  • The other issue I am having is that Evans cycles do not stock anything in their London showrooms. I appreciate that mountain bikes aren't high priority in the city but you would have thought with them having 15 stores around that they would have at least 1 of everything in their range available to see. Now I have to buy/order the bike blind without a test ride or even looking at the bike in the flesh.
  • velogee
    I know mate I'd rather be able to choose the shop I buy from...

I would have gone for the Superfly 7 but really cant afford to lump £200 on top. A friend of mine has a high spec carbon model and its awesome. I'm probably going to call the Reading branch and try and get the F-Si in but that commits me!
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd avoid 27.5+. It hasn't really taken off in this country, mainly because it's rubbish on muddy surfaces. Because it's not popular, tyre and tube availability and choice is limited and expensive.
  • velogee
    RockmonkeySC thats my fear a lot of my MTB time is in the winter with lights and where I live the muddy is claggy thick clay. I cant help but think 27.5+ is more a summer thing or made for the dusty trails of California.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018